KETO

Options
Curious what others think of it

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    In my opinion- by forcing you to eliminate a bunch of foods that you enjoy eating there's a high chance of adherence failure after the initial 'honeymoon' phase.

That is a good point and why I only eat foods that I really enjoy for the past 4 years.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Seven days ago I was all about how easy it was.

The next paragraph is TMI. Skip if you want.
    Seven days ago was the first time I attempted to improve my 'regularity' with a super fiber product named "Nopalina". The serving size on the nutrition label indicated 15 g.
    Suffice to say, 15g of Nopalina on top of 15 g chia seeds is more than sufficient.
    Six days ago, I tweaked that effort with 10 g Nopalina along with 15 g chia.
    Sufficiency has been said again.
    Five days ago, I weakly tweaked that to 5 g Nopalina along with 15 g chia.
    This experience stressed my mind so much that I could not be satisfied with fat, protein, and patience.
    So, for now at least, I'm going to go with 5 g Nopalina along with 15 g chia in my breakfast eggs.

Nevertheless, I press onward, through the fog.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Some people find it helpful. It's not for everyone, most people probably would find just eating a sensible calorie-appropriate diet an easier way to lose weight. I tried it as an experiment (after I'd lost the weight) and didn't notice any benefits for me, and I found even the amounts of non starchy veg I like to eat were pushing me over my carbs, and I missed fruit and potatoes and pasta (which is an easy base for a nutritious dinner for me), and didn't like that without beans and having to limit dairy that I was more reliant on meat for protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Seven days ago was the first time I attempted to improve my 'regularity' with a super fiber product named "Nopalina". The serving size on the nutrition label indicated 15 g.
    Suffice to say, 15g of Nopalina on top of 15 g chia seeds is more than sufficient.
    This experience stressed my mind so much that I could not be satisfied with fat, protein, and patience.
    So, for now at least, I'm going to go with 5 g Nopalina along with 15 g chia in my breakfast eggs.

Nopalina is a cactus based fiber widely sold in Mexico and it's heavy duty. A little goes a long way. I've tried it and it was too intense. My go to is ground psyllium husk. Much gentler.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Nopalina is a cactus based fiber widely sold in Mexico and it's heavy duty. A little goes a long way. I've tried it and it was too intense. My go to is ground psyllium husk. Much gentler.

The first day, ignorantly with 15 g Nopalina and 15 g chia, caused what I think was a vagal response. If it was not a vagal response, it so screwed my mind that it might as well have been a bad trip.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    keto was a big NOPE for me in more ways than one. I wont go into it here as I have posts all over about my experience with it.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You need to read a lot about it rather than just asking here, and make your own mind up about it. There are low carb and keto groups that may be more supportive than the general forums here.

Personally, I haver fewer cravings and less desire to snack while I am in Ketosis, and I can lose weight with less effort than I have done previously (ie, in the past I have restricted foods and done a couple of hours extra exercise a day but always craved more food) whereas now, I eat pretty much what I ate before but no processed carbs like bread and pasta, or starchy veg like rice and potatoes. I have more cheese and creamy sauces, but like any other WOE for fat loss, you need to eat at a calorie deficit. I still do a couple of hours exercise/activity at work but I don't feel the urge to stuff my face when I get home.

It's not easy, as going out for dinner can upset your macros and fresh crusty bread is just about my favourite food in the whole world but I find it works for me. When I reach my goal weight (93-95kg) I will consider adding things like lentils, sweet potato and squash to my meals but if I put on weight I will cut back on them.

We're all different; this works for me.

• Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and has to work out for themselves what works for their body.

People have different ideas about what "keto" is. My definition is pretty simple that it is lower carb than the typical western diet, putting your body into a state of ketosis for some or all of the day.

When people criticise "keto" they are usually thinking of the most extreme form of it, where people eat almost no carbs (maybe 25g or 50g) and lots of fatty foods.

However, I have a mild keto diet which involves moderate carbs (up to about 100g a day at the moment) from low GI/non-starchy foods, moderate lean protein, and moderate fat - about 40/40/20. So I still eat lots of vegetables, but steer clear of bread, rice, pasta, potato, sugar, etc. I also count calories and keep a deficit.

When I first tried this way of eating (still eating moderate amount of carbs, but not high GI ones), I bought some ketone strips to test the ketones in my urine to see if it did put me in ketosis, and it did. So I don't think you have to go extreme to have a keto diet.

The argument that you should not have a restrictive diet that doesn't allow you to eat the foods you like kind of cancels out the vast majority of effective diets for people who are trying to lose weight. I like chocolate, chips, ice-cream, cake, etc but if I eat these foods just because I like them, I am not going to stand much chance of losing the weight I need to while still keeping to my calorie limit and ensuring I'm getting the right nutrition.

There is a difference between what you need to do to lose weight to reach a particular goal versus to maintain a steady weight long term. Perhaps keto is unrealistic for most people long-term (due to restrictions around lots of common foods like bread and rice), but it can be very effective to shift the weight due to the ketogenic nature of it.

I have found, for myself, that it is hard for me to lose weight when eating higher GI carbs even if I am in a calorie deficit, and these types of carbs actually make me feel hungrier. I broke my diet 2 weeks ago to eat 1 piece of bread and I felt so hungry all afternoon and evening even though I also ate all the normal foods I do in addition to the bread and the calories from the bread meant I went over my normal daily allowance. I find lean protein and low GI vegetables to be more filling and nutritious for fewer calories, and I rarely feel 'hungry' for any length of time (i.e. if I feel hungry, I eat my next planned protein/veg meal or snack).

When I hit my goal weight I will slowly reintroduce some foods back in and see how I go; how does it effect my body, how does it affect my weight; how much do I really want to eat it; etc. Experimentation. But they are foods I really should eat in moderation as I know it is easy for me to overindulge in those foods and it may be better to pick other food choices that are lower in carbs.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some people have great success with keto as they find it is food they enjoy and also find the low carb, high fat diet satiating. Many find the diet quite restrictive and give up after a short period of time. Me, I went lower carb for a while (around 100gms), hated it and the effect it had on my body, so increased them to a more moderate level. Not only did I lose a lot of weight this way, but have been able to maintain that weight loss for several years. This is because I didn't eliminate foods that I enjoyed, just worked out how they could fit into my diet. I found something that was sustainable long term.
    There is no harm in giving low carb/keto a go to see if it works for you. Just don't continue with it if you find it is not working as there is nothing magical about keto in regards to weight loss. It still all boils down to calories in versus calories out.