Polycystic ovaries support thread

Options
2»

Replies

• mountainmist823
    Options
    Helloooo ladies :)
    I was diagnosed about two weeks ago. I've also spent the last two weeks researching absolutely everything.... haha
    I also have IBS so in addition to my PCOS diet restrictions, I also have my IBS diet restrictions... which, honestly, leaves me with meat and vegetables... cant even much fruit :( how boring. I also have to figure out how to meet my food needs along with my families food needs. I don't want them to have to eat such a bland diet just because I do. Needless to say, I've been struggling to keep to my food plan and I 110% have to. I've got to do this.

Feel free to add me!
  • iamamalia
    iamamalia Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in the PCOS club too :( I went off my metformin because I got tired of the nausea/diarrhea all day every day. I keep thinking i'll give it another shot, but keep putting it off.

here's to starting this journey for the bazillionth time... was successful a few years ago (dropped 60lb), but stress and lack of sleep and some life changes put me back at my start weight yet again.
  • mfost50
    mfost50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm 24 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 18 y/o. At the time, I managed to lose 40 lbs without any meds, used MFP and had no issues until after I was done with nursing school (for now).

In May I was re-diagnosed with it and am now heavier than I ever was. I tried the metformin but I couldn't stand the GI upsets as they disrupt my time to workout as well as work. Though I would admit it helped getting my cycle to reboot so to speak. So I'm trying to get back into becoming healthier and lose weight without the need for meds. I thought if I could do it before, why not now?
  • NicoleMichael62
    NicoleMichael62 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 18 and the struggle to lose weight was so hard with a busy school and work schedule that I never put in too much effort.

I am now 28 and two months back I gave it a fair shot. Stuck to logging my daily food intake to MFP and am trying to work out 2-3 times a week and get my 10000 steps in as much as I can. I was originally 209lbs when I started but I'm now down to 191lbs. About a 17lb lose in a little more than two months.

What works for me is not depriving myself. I found that I would either limit my bad foods or find a healthy alternative.

If you wanna talk some more...let's be friends. :)
  • gafford101
    gafford101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    iamamalia wrote: »
    I'm in the PCOS club too :( I went off my metformin because I got tired of the nausea/diarrhea all day every day. I keep thinking i'll give it another shot, but keep putting it off.

here's to starting this journey for the bazillionth time... was successful a few years ago (dropped 60lb), but stress and lack of sleep and some life changes put me back at my start weight yet again.

Did you try the extended release it is softer on the stomach? Hope that helps. ..good luck!
  • ellielittlewood20
    Options
    I also have PCOS (along with IBS, CFS, depression etc) and put on 10kg when the doctor put me on the progesterone only contraceptive pill to try and sort out irregular bleeding. So far I've lost 5kg and am trying to loose the rest while getting more healthy to combat the symptoms of everything else. Feel free to add me, I try to look on the bright side and also really love food
  • mrsjobolton
    mrsjobolton Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello can anyone recommend what I should eat with PCOS please
  • sfabianski
    sfabianski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Speak with your doctor or a nutritionist for better specifics but I try to stay away from carbs (even though I do have some) and eat lots of vitamin rich veggies and lean proteins.
    Hello can anyone recommend what I should eat with PCOS please

• aroseintherough
    Options
    Hi my name is Jackie and I'm starting over for what seems the hundredth time.
    I am 52 and I have PCOS. I have struggled since my early 20s with female related problems with Drs. that never took me seriously and have watched my weight creep up over the years to almost 300 lbs. I have lost the weight a couple of times but always found I had to eat less and work out more than my friends trying to do the same. Finally 4 years ago I found my self having an emergency hysterectomy. I was diagnosed in the ER because my Dr never took me seriously, never once performed the tests to determine why I was having so much pain and irregular periods, even when I went to him after my ER visit he started listing my options all things we had already tried and I said the only option is the hysterectomy, he again tried to talk me out of it, and when he asked me when I would like the surgery I said tomorrow he laughed at me and suggested a date 4 weeks away. Then he received the results from my tests from the ER visit, he came back to the room and told me the surgery would be the next day. After my surgery my family physician finally put a name to my years of problems PCOS.
    On my most recent weight loss venture I took drastic measures and was able to loose 80 lbs. but I found with out the supplements to fill the nutritional gaps and curb my hunger enough to get by on the small amounts of calories It required to get the weight off, I was not able to keep it off. I gained it back in less than a year. Even thought I continued to try to eat healthier than I have in the past.
    Now I rarely eat anything packaged, I use coconut oil, I eat organic, lean, grass fed, no antibiotics, no growth hormones, use essential oils, take good quality supplements.
    I still have not been able to find a Dr. that truly understands what I'm going through. So I'm going through this on my own. I have been educating my self and ready to give it another try.
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I went to an OBGYN first, had bloodwork done and was referred to an endocrinologist who diagnosed me in August after tons of blood work, different tests, CT scan, etc. I'm taking 50mg of spironolactone daily.
  • SillyAnneh
    SillyAnneh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Annie. 25 years old, not officially diagnosed with PCOS. A doctor put me through a whole panel of tests back in May aaaaand never followed up with me (and every time I tried to contact her, the nurse said she was out of the office. So I just gave up a month ago). Ah well, I digress. Hoping to get some tips on how to lose some weight. It's so stubborn, no matter how hard I work at it.

Also, I'm a student pharmacist, and can confirm that extended release metformin is a reasonable and readily available alternative for those who experience the upset stomach or diarrhea, as it's typically not associated with having those problems.

Anyway, good luck to you all on your respective journeys!
  • tuffgirl19
    tuffgirl19 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    SillyAnneh wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm Annie. 25 years old, not officially diagnosed with PCOS. A doctor put me through a whole panel of tests back in May aaaaand never followed up with me (and every time I tried to contact her, the nurse said she was out of the office. So I just gave up a month ago). Ah well, I digress. Hoping to get some tips on how to lose some weight. It's so stubborn, no matter how hard I work at it.

Also, I'm a student pharmacist, and can confirm that extended release metformin is a reasonable and readily available alternative for those who experience the upset stomach or diarrhea, as it's typically not associated with having those problems.

Anyway, good luck to you all on your respective journeys!

Hi Annie!
    I totally understand where you're coming from. Don't give up on your dr, at least find another one to complete the testing. I was diagnosed with PCOS in August and on Spironolactone 50mg daily. I haven't heard of anyone else in it on MFP. I didn't want to take Metformin 3x a day and all the stomach issues they told me could likely accompany the med.

I'll request you as a friend, I have a diet that was given to me by another MFP member
  • sumlucero
    sumlucero Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    iamamalia wrote: »

I have started losing weight with MFP and then I've gone to a super short 2-day vacation without logging and working out. Sadly I came back with another weight gain half of what i have already lost in a month. Now after a week of going back by diligently logging to MFP and working out, it showed I gained another pound. Soooo frustrating this PCOS. So yeah, I'm trying weight loss again for the bazzillionth time. Si comforting I'm not alone in this journey.

Hoping you'll reach your goal soon. :)
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm Charley, 19 years old and was diagnosed two years ago. After years of trying I'm finally losing weight using MFP and have two stone (roughly) left to lose.

Add me!!☺️
  • cyclefaster
    cyclefaster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Claire and on this journey too. I started logging everything on myfitness pal six weeks ago and lost 5lb. Over the past two weeks its all gone back on again even though I've been in calorie deficit over the weeks. I have three meals out over that time but still ate healthy choices but was in surplus on those three days.

I'm feeling pretty frustrated as I'm very active, work out all the time and have a very active job. If I limit my calories any more than 2,000 a day my energy crashes and I fall asleep in the day time. I don't eat carbs at night so I'm too hungry to sleep.

My bmi is 24 and I want to lose 10lbs to help with my training and cycling.

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries a few years ago but not given any other support or medication, probably because I don't have a clinical problem with weight.

This week I'm going to cut out bread again (I eat one slice a day at the moment) and just eat oats, brown rice, or sweet potato for carbs. Small amounts though with my meals.

I'm considering IF but I do so much exercise I really don't know that it is for me.