Should I be eating more?

Options
Hey guys, I currently eat up to 1600 calories a day and I’m still hungry most of the time!
I’m set to active because I walk/jog 45-60 minutes a day and do some strength every 2nd day.
But my maintenance is only 1980. Mind you I’m around 162cm tall.
The last 3 nights I’ve eaten to my maintenance and last night I went over a little bit.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The MFP calorie goal is set with the intention of eating back your exercise calories.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The MFP calorie goal is set with the intention of eating back your exercise calories.

Yes, but it also assumes that you're setting your activity level without including exercise, and OP already seems to including exercise sessions when choosing the activity level.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hey guys, I currently eat up to 1600 calories a day and I’m still hungry most of the time!
    I’m set to active because I walk/jog 45-60 minutes a day and do some strength every 2nd day.
    The last 3 nights I’ve eaten to my maintenance and last night I went over a little bit.

How have you determined your maintenance, for someone who walks/strength trains and is set to active, 1980 seems pretty low.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    1980 seems quite likely to me; it's only a little below what I maintain on, and I'm 3 inches taller.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options

How have you determined your maintenance, for someone who walks/strength trains and is set to active, 1980 seems pretty low.

@ceiswyn
    I guess what I really mean is for someone of that height to have a maintenance of 1980, they're going to be overweight rather than obese and lightly active rather than active (BMR 1415 x Lightly Active Multiplier 1.4). If she is set to Active, then for her maintenance to be around 1980 (BMR 1130 x Active Multiplier 1.75) she would in fact be underweight or borderline underweight/healthy weight and shouldn't be seeking to lose weight at all.
  • michaela241193
    michaela241193 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    40ow0pm9uwbl.png
  • michaela241193
    michaela241193 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is a based off working out 4-5 days a week and gaining muscle while losing fat which I assume would be toning up? That’s heaps more than what I was previously consuming! No wonder I’m extra hungry (That time of the month also contributed).

I am 5 kilos out of my goal weight. I’ve had 3 children over 6 and a half years so I need some toning up to do. I was hovering around 59-60 and a size 8 before I had kids. And I’ve always been active. I was never classed as or looked underweight then so I doubt I would now. Especially with those extra wobbly bits from stretching during pregnancy.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    40ow0pm9uwbl.png
    This is a based off working out 4-5 days a week and gaining muscle while losing fat which I assume would be toning up? That’s heaps more than what I was previously consuming! No wonder I’m extra hungry (That time of the month also contributed).

I am 5 kilos out of my goal weight. I’ve had 3 children over 6 and a half years so I need some toning up to do. I was hovering around 59-60 and a size 8 before I had kids. And I’ve always been active. I was never classed as or looked underweight then so I doubt I would now. Especially with those extra wobbly bits from stretching during pregnancy.

It looks like your maintenance is 2272 and your goal is to lose half a pound a week. So then you can eat the 1931 they say. I don't know if you will be able to gain muscle mass on that deficit, but it doesn't mean that would need to. You "tone up" a lot of the time be removing the fat that's on top of the muscle, rather than building additional muscle mass.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I only eat 1200-1400 cals a day I walk 30 miles a week I do c25k 2 Zumba classes a week weights and I don’t drive and look after a family of 5 and I’m not hungry as my carbs are low ... high white carbs make us hungry
    How long have you been doing that?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    All the calculators in the world can't give you a more accurate number than your own results. OP, do you have several weeks (6 at least) of food logging and weight loss results you can use to back into your maintenance calories? It doesn't matter if your logging is spot on, because the numbers will be based on how YOU log your food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    I only eat 1200-1400 cals a day I walk 30 miles a week I do c25k 2 Zumba classes a week weights and I don’t drive and look after a family of 5 and I’m not hungry as my carbs are low ... high white carbs make us hungry

Actually, potatoes, a "white carb", came in as the top satiating food in at least one study.

How tall are you and how much weight are you losing per week and for how long has that been?