Need a little help....

Options
Hi Everyone,
I'm really looking forward to trying this out again, but it's going to be my third time giving it a shot and I'm not sure why I keep failing at this. Seems like I'm having an all or nothing attitude, so if I get off track a little, I just go ahead an derail the whole train. Anyone have any experience or advice that can help me with that? Also, does anyone out there pretty much not eat all day and then get home from work and see if it's physically possible to pop yourself? It's kind of non-stop for me right when I get home...just food and TV. Anyone have any luck changing that bad habit? How often should I eat? Should I work out in the morning or afternoon? I haven't worked out at all in years and I'm not sure how to get started. Sorry...way too many questions, but I'm motivated right now so I want to get it all out. Okay, thanks for the help everyone!

Replies

• joejoe21
    joejoe21 Posts: 22
    Options
    hello welcome back !! there are going to be times were you will fall of the wagen but instead of staying down you need to just pick you self right back up . dont dwell on it because the longer you stay down the father away you put you goals !!! as for going home and eating try going home from work eating dinner watching tv for a little then walking . you dont even have to walk outside in could be right there infront of the tv but instead of sitting stand up and walk that way your body will be busy and not want to eat !!! good luck with your weight lose. you can do it
  • lesliea082001
    Options
    Start out with walking, it doesn't seem like much, but it really adds up the burnt calories.
  • djsteadystate
    Options
    As someone who has fallen off the wagon a few times, I think it's important to keep at it and understand that occasionally you're going to hit a few bumps in the road.

One thing I did was signed up for a gym and signed up with a personal trainer when I started getting back in the gym; that way I had the accountability of someone else expecting me to be at the gym. It's easy to say you don't have the money, but I thought of this way: I spend the money on the necessary upkeep and repairs on my car, I should be doing the same for my body.

Also, depending on where you are physically, you may not notice changes immediately. You can't let this get you down or de-motivate you. Understand that there are changes happening inside and likely changes to your metabolism as long as you're eating correctly. My girlfriend and I are doing an 8-week bootcamp and she has been a little upset because she hasn't really noticed any changes (also keep in the mind that changes happen slowly, so take pictures because otherwise seeing yourself in the mirror is not going to show you the changes you're hoping to see).

The best advice I've heard is not to starve yourself but to eat mini-meals throughout the day. Don't binge at meals and then let your body go into metabolic shock for the next 5 hours. Have some healthy snacks on hand for the cravings; nuts, granola bars, dried fruit, etc. And by all means, track your calories and be honest with yourself. Over the weekends I have to face the fact that sometimes that extra beer is going to throw me over the calorie count.
  • kimmie790
    Options
    Well done on starting up again!!! I wish you all the best.

With regards to exercise, I wouldn't jump straight into a gym.
    Simple steps such as: use stairs instead of a lift / escalator, Walk to your local shop - don't drive. If you have a dog try to go on varied walks, increasing time and distance.

Good Luck :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Lots of advice for you, so it's very useful that you were lengthy in your original message. Firstly, you must be patient - I plateaued a couple times, as so many people seem to, and just had to keep going. It helps if you do a bit of research outside MFP too, as it's not the complete answer even if it is bloody good. Secondly, you should 'graze' in the day, rather than fast and then eat at night. Reasons for this is that your body will get used to 'little and often' and ultimately 'grumble' less, and a big meal before bed won't metabolize quite as well as grazing. I used to be a sofa spud too, so now I work out while watching! Regarding 'work out', it doesn't need to start strenuously. Going back to the research, I found out what cals are burnt quickest by what activities, and settled on what was cheap, and what didn't seem too taxing. Try walking (though you must break a sweat/get your heart rate up), cycling, swimming and jogging up and down stairs (rather than using elevators/escalators - 750 cals an hour!) Even housework/gardening burns cals don't forget. When your body gets used to it, you can move up to (as I have) skipping (yes skipping - also 750 cals an hour), rowing, weights and calisthenics. Luck!
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yes, variation is also important, in both diet and exercise. Good point!
  • vonzogonzo
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help and advice! Totally blown away by the eagerness to help coming from perfect strangers. So awesome. There's some really great advice here that I plan on taking. Thanks again.
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have fallen too so many times............basically you just gotta get back up and going and not let ourselves talk ourselves into thinking its not worth it. IT'S SO WORTH IT! I am finally back down 5 lbs. after de-railing. And you will be too. :)