Pain in foot training for 10ks

Options
Stellamom2018
Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been running 5 K's for about 2 months now and decided to increase my mileage. I'm doing the 5K to 10K program and I'm running about five miles now. I'm having significant toe pain on my right foot just in one toe. Google told me to try a half size larger tennis shoe but even walking around I felt like I was flopping my feet in them. Could it be my form? Or what am I missing here?

Editing to add: I just finished my run and the toe nail is for sure falling off. It's all purple and lifted up.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you've only been running a couple of months it could just be too much too soon.

You should be running in actual running shoes as well.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If you've only been running a couple of months it could just be too much too soon.

You should be running in actual running shoes as well.

I have Brooks for running
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Visit a running shoe store and get a professional gait analysis & shoe fitting. Might also need to go to doctor to see if you have a stress fracture.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    too much or too fast too soon. possibly, incorrect shoes for your needs.
    and if your foot hurts, probably time to take a rest to see if it resolves itself. if it does not, see a dr
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If the pain is at the base of the big toe, it’s very likely sesamoididtis, a common running and dancing injury. Zero drop shoes and icing it can help. Good luck.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If the pain is at the base of the big toe, it’s very likely sesamoididtis, a common running and dancing injury. Zero drop shoes and icing it can help. Good luck.

Zero drop shoes can introduce injuries in your calf and ankle if you are not already used to them and/or are careful to very gradually change your form. Do not try running in zero drop shoes as a quick remedy to this issue.

Give your foot a rest until there is no pain at all. If it takes more than a few days to get back to normal go see a doctor.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When you get this all sorted out, keep your toenails trimmed short always.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Zero drop shoes can introduce injuries in your calf and ankle if you are not already used to them and/or are careful to very gradually change your form. Do not try running in zero drop shoes as a quick remedy to this issue.

Give your foot a rest until there is no pain at all. If it takes more than a few days to get back to normal go see a doctor.

Good points about slow introduction to zero drop shoes and resting the injury
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at how you lace your shoes? I got a black toe after increasing my mileage from 5k to 10k and changing how I lace my shoes to a heel lock and getting some new running socks helped a lot. The heel lock stops your heel slipping in your shoe and your toes from hitting the front of the shoe.

This is an interesting read on it: https://runnersconnect.net/how-to-lace-your-running-shoes/

I've definitely noticed more pressure on top of my foot though especially my right one for some reason, so I'm going to try the special heel lock which skips the sixth eyelet. Hopefully, I can keep my toes happy as well as the top of my foot.