Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    It's a personal thing really. I get the impression that most people here tend to go the daily weigh with a trending app route but I understand that's a bit of a risk factor for some people who might get a bit number fixated.

Obviously weighing in isn't required to lose weight, if you're eating in a deficit your then you'll be losing weight whether you're keeping track or not. I know some people choose to not weigh and use other metrics to track their progress such as measurements, how their clothes fit or even just the mirror.

Only you can really decide how often you want to weigh in but some things to keep in mind.
    Daily weigh ins give you all the information you could possibly want but some people find it onerous and feel like they're at risk of getting obsessive about the number on the scale where daily fluctuations play mind games on them. Daily weigh in's with a trending app has the added bonus of 'cancelling out' natural weight fluctuations to reveal genuine progress.

Monthly weigh ins let you get away from the number on the scale but the downside is you're not getting any information about your progress so can't make any adjustments. If you're accidentally eating too much you won't know this for a whole month so can't make any corrections. A month is a long time to be unknowingly going in the wrong direction before finding out and making changes.

Weekly weigh ins are a middle ground. You'll get regular feedback on your progress so you can make timely adjustments but progress can often be masked by natural weight fluctuations. It's entirely possible that you're weight might be going down overall but an ebb in water weight one week and a flow the week after can result in the number on the scale number going up.

But what you say also applies to monthly if you're not using a very large deficit**.

500 Cals successfully applied yield about 4 lb a month. Water weight fluctuations,.especially hormonal, can certainly exceed that.

A 250 Cal deficit that many people should be applying can most certainly be obscured!

**which most people should not.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It's all about personal preference. I try to be clinical/emotionally removed when it comes to my weight, and I love data, so I weigh daily and trend. Sometimes it looks like I'm hitting a plateau for a few weeks, then suddenly I'll drop a couple pounds in a few days. It has been interesting to see the interplay among diet and all the other factors that go into weight fluctuations.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I haven't weighed myself since my last child was born - 5 years ago. While I guess I'm at "goal", I base my dietary changes on muscle visibility and athletic performance.
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. The batteries on scale went out and I had no scale for two weeks (weird battery type that I could not easily find), and I gained 5 lbs in that time!! I need the scale to stay accountable. Obviously this approach is not for everyone.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    AT the start... every week as I was losing.. near goal.. I stopped just because my weight loss slowed and I did not want to get discouraged by the number not he scale. Now, I don't weigh..but put on one cocktail dress that zips up perfectly when I look the way I want. So.. trying that on seems less discouraging than weighing.. I put it on most days. before or after I take my shower.. when it is hard to zip.. I reel things in.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Options
    I've been weighing 2-3 times a month. I'm not a person who could weight every day and forget to weigh in weekly. So I try to weigh on the first of the month and around the middle of the month.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily as well to see trends and keep myself accountable. I don't count a change in weight unless it stays that way for a few days though.