Not losing...why

So I just started a low-carb diet which I've done before. Every time I only lose 1 to 2 pounds the first week in water why do some people lose 10 to 15 pounds in water? Is there something wrong with me and my doing it wrong?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Different people will lose different amounts of water weight. It's just water weight. You need about 4-6 weeks to see if what you're doing is working or not, don't base it on how much water weight you lose (or don't) the first week.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2019
    So I just started a low-carb diet which I've done before. Every time I only lose 1 to 2 pounds the first week in water why do some people lose 10 to 15 pounds in water? Is there something wrong with me and my doing it wrong?

and even if you lose 10-15 lbs of water whats that accomplishing? water will come back. you must not have a lot of water to lose if you are only losing `1-2 lbs a week in water. you want to be losing fat and not water,weight fluctuates day to day too so. you cannot compare yourself to others or you will set yourself up for failure. I did low carb and keto and I didnt lose much water either. I lost 5 lbs and part of that was water weight from that TOM being close so.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I just wrote this to someone else:

Don't give up. When the weight is coming off it feels great! Once it stops or slows it gets hard. Did you run your numbers on this site to come up with the best daily calorie count goal for weight loss? What type of foods do you eat? The tracking you do should indicate if you are high in calories, low in fiber, etc. You may need to think outside of the box on the eating. Do you eat out a lot? If so, restaurant food is typically higher in calories, fat and salt then what is indicated. I'm just throwing guesses out there. Maybe rethink your strategy. I hope this helps. I hope others provide good feedback for you as well. Do you have more specifics on what you eat/how you eat, etc?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    I did low carb once and didn't lose like other people.. then I learned the calories eaten mattered too.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    My woe is prettty strict. I stay with meat veg and salads on mon-thurs close to 20 g carbs and 40gs on fri,sat,sun (work days) by added squash or sweet potato only. I never come close to my 1500 cals allotment. Im 255lb and 45yo female. Today is day 5. I just got my lady time too lol ughh

First, you should try and hit your calorie target.
    Second-are you using a food scale to measure out portion sizes?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    Day 5 is too soon to have any meaningful data.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    My woe is prettty strict. I stay with meat veg and salads on mon-thurs close to 20 g carbs and 40gs on fri,sat,sun (work days) by added squash or sweet potato only. I never come close to my 1500 cals allotment. Im 255lb and 45yo female. Today is day 5. I just got my lady time too lol ughh

1. The specific foods you eat don't have anything to do with whether or not you lose weight. Weight loss happens when you eat fewer calories than you burn. It doesn't matter for weight loss what foods or macros those calories come from. Macros matter for health and satiety but are not directly relevant to weight loss.
    2. Five days is not long enough to know whether or not a weight loss plan is working. Hormonal weight fluctuations, as you mentioned, are part of the reason it can take several weeks to see the scale go down.
    3. If you aren't using a food scale to weigh all solid food, you're almost guaranteed to be eating more than you think you are.