Irish Dancing

Options
Any other irish dancers out there??

Does anyone have any idea how much this exercise will burn calories? :blushing:

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I do! I actually really want to get a heart-rate monitor so I can figure it out. I've seen that an hour of irish dance burns anywhere from 200-350 calories. But it really depends on how much time in class you spend dancing versus being instructed and your individual heart-rate!

MFP tells me that I burn 298 calories when I do it, but I don't really rely on that number too much. I assume about half of what they say is what I burn. I'm hoping to get a heart-rate monitor within the next week or so, I'll let you know what my number ends up being!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Burned 474 calories in my dance class last night - 51 minutes of dancing :)
  • ale4321
    Options
    Yay! Thank you all for posting this!
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do Scottish Dancing (although, I haven't in a while; hence the reason why I gained so much weight)! I wish I had stayed with it... I would be in such good shape! Or that I at least became an instructor... My boyfriend has been encouraging me to get back into it. It's pathetic when I go to the my step aerobics class, how I barely make it through a 60 minute class; and think how I used to do crazy marathon dance sessions and be fine.
  • pianobelle
    pianobelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to Irish dance when I was a teenager. I would usually dance about one hour per day and within a period of one year I had lost down from 160 to 115 pounds without restricting my diet. I drank only water but ate like I normally would. It has to burn about 500 cals per hour at least if you are an average weight! To me, it's a lot harder than an elliptical machine and I burn 500 cals per hour on it at my current weight of 146.