RA diet

Options
I just got diagnosed with RA. Any good diet recommendations?

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You didn't ask your Dr.?
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Less processed carbs help my generalized pain (not RA), and losing weight helped. Ask for a referral to a nutritionist.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I was told to not eat nightshades. I couldn’t do it though. Every year I grow my own heirloom tomatoes, chili peppers and tomatillos. If they make miserable, I don’t care. YMMV
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I have had RA for 15 years now and I am not on any special diet. the thing that works for me is weight lifting/reisistance training. I eat a lot of carbs and it doesnt cause me any issues. I am not on meds yet either. It seems as long as Im strengthening my body the better I feel and almost no pain(compared to before I started). I was diagnosed at a healthy weight too so for me weight loss would have made no difference. just see what foods may or may not bother you and do an elimination diet one by one for a few months. then reintroduce things one by one again. you may have issues with food and you may not. I know I dont.

I do realize when Im not as active that my pain and inflammation increases. but thats me.
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I see my regular doctor tomorrow and she is to refer me to a nutritionists and a Rheumatologist. I just wondered about natural remedies - essential oils, the right diet, exercise. Not to fond of medication but I'm sick of the pain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I see my regular doctor tomorrow and she is to refer me to a nutritionists and a Rheumatologist. I just wondered about natural remedies - essential oils, the right diet, exercise. Not to fond of medication but I'm sick of the pain.

essential oils can be dangerous and its basically a fad(research shows that most are placebos). exercise is proven to help so is weight lifting/resistance traning. as for the right diet there is no one size fits all diet for RA.for some cutting carbs may help, for people like me it makes no difference as carbs dont cause me inflammation. I do know that for me when I did keto it made my RA 10x worse,but I have other related health issues so not sure if that was part of it or not. but what works for me may not work for you and vice versa. most of it will be trial and error as for meds it may be needed depending on how far its progressed.
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m having a hard time getting my last 30 lbs off. I’m hopeful that the pain will lessen once I get more weight off. Right now I’m cutting carbs way back to get a jump start then I’ll even out. Just really had a hard time getting the scales to move any. Essential oils -I’m doing one drop of frankincense and one drop lavender at night for sleep. Taking plenty of vitamins Drinking protein drink. Plenty of liquids. Stopped drinking Diet Coke. Next week going to start light walking. Also seeing my doctor this week again
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed with RA but I have multiple autoimmune diseases and idiopathic arthritis by my 20s.

For me, going gluten free helped reduce flare ups a fair bit, but I am a celiac.

For pain reduction, going ketogenic helped me a lot. I could be more active and sleep easier.

I then cut out basically all carbs and eat like a carnivore. That helped even more. I still get some pain when I move wrong and am active, but I can get up moving much faster without that warmup period of pain, and I no longer need pain meds to sleep. It did not cure me, and the damage is still there, but my quality of life is greatly improved, though my menu is not as exciting as it was. I just got to the point where the constant pain and activity linitations is not worth the 30 minutes a day I spent tasting food.

I started with the Wahls Protocol 4 years ago and now my diet is much less plant, more animal, mainly whole foods.
    Ymmv Good luck.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Doc said I have RA after extensive lab work even though labs show I don't have it. Put me on meds, then next time wanted me to double them plus gave me another pill for malleria. Also told me to eat anything I want. Not taking the pills and I do not have RA. Some hospitals have a medical library and will send you info about treatments and foods for different diseases.