Basement, gym, park or other

Options
pierinifitness
pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Where do you train? Select from title categories and share anything helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Things that I do on a regular basis:
    Rowing - on the water (a river more specifically)
    Indoor rowing - at the gym or at the boat house (preferably the boat house)
    Cycling - road/paths or inside at home in front of Zwift, training peaks, and/or the TV.

Things I don't do frequently (some of which I should do more frequently):
    Weight training - the gym
    Swimming - the pool at the gym
    Running - typically on an outdoor track
    PT exercises (which I don't do very often anymore, some of which fall into weight training) - the gym, my house, or anywhere. It depends on what I'm doing.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Options
    In my basement sunday, friday and Saturday. I have a treadmill, weights, weight bench, bands, balls, etc.

Sunday and friday I do jogging/sprint work on the treadmill. Saturday full body weights with tabata
    Monday, wednesday and thursday im in a gym lifting heavy and spin bike
    Tuesday i teach at a gym. Full body muscle and tabata.

I also have 3 kids so when its nice i will also take my workout outside. Sprinting up hill while pushing a double carriage. Some days its not my primary workout for the day so i will just take a walk with them.

I also try to incorporate yoga on sundays at my house. Kind of the finisher for the week.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I workout in my basement. I have most of the equipment I need and it's convenient for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Cycling - outside wherever.
    Walking - outside wherever.
    Climbing Stairs - inside my office building.
    Running - outside wherever.
    Hiking - outside wherever.

Occasionally rowing, running on the treadmill or attending spin class - at the gym.
    Occasionally lifting weights - at home.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I workout in my home gym (in our spare bedroom) and outside if I'm walking, cycling, hiking, or swimming.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Generally outside as much as possible. Runs through my neighborhood (or anywhere), biking on the rails to trails, hiking in the mountains, kayaking, running in new and exciting places. Anything outside (no parks near me but I guess that might be closest of your categories).

I quit smoking a few years ago and have used those dollars to build a fullly equipped gym in my basement. If I have to be inside, I’ll be down there. By fully equipped I mean lifting setup (full cage with pulleys and bars/bumper plates), heavy bag, rower, air bike, treadmill, stack weight machine, KBs, sandbags, assorted other toys, floor space, etc.

I still prefer being outside.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Asked question but never shared.

Was always a gym rat, had to go somewhere to train, wasn’t productive training at home. Quit gym several years ago.

Running - at various local parks. Just finished a 60 minute run.

Kettlebell - Preference is local parks. I like the fresh air when sucking air. Keep kettlebells in a spare office where my office is, call it my “official gym” and train there when not at park.

Burpees - Same as kettlebells.

Pull-ups and bar dips - Park , used to own a good unit but got rid of it when we moved and downsizes.
    Just bought some quality resistance bands and webbing for isometric work. Will do at office.

Heavy Hands - use a pair of 5 lb. dumbbells - Park.

I think that’s it.

Thanks to all for sharing.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Winter and hot summer running- gym. I need the frenetic energy of people. I'm also pretty intensely asthmatic and these temp changes really do a number on me.

Weight lifting-gym.
    Spin- gym
    Fall and spring running- outside. As much as possible.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My living room mostly, although it's probably got a lot of the stuff most folks would have in their basement:
    • Barbell
    • Dumbbells
    • Pull Up Bar
    • Resistance Bands
    • Exercise Bike/Elliptical
    • Kettlebells
    • Yoga Mat/Blocks
    • Pilates Circle

Cycling or Walking to/from work
    Rowing on the local river
    Running in the off season from rowing
    I sometimes use my work gym if I want to lift heavier than what I have at home (they have Dumbbells up to 25kg, I only have up to 8kg at home).
    Pole Dancing Classes currently too.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    -basement home gym - 3 full body workouts per week, 2 cardio/accessories days, 2 active recovery days.
    -outside - weather (and arthritis allowing lol) walk/hike/time at local parks/beaches
    -anywhere - throw around and scuffle with the smaller grandkids, get thrown around by the oldest grandkid.
    -work - primarily construction sites, lots of stairs, walking out for surveys etc

I stay pretty active, but admit that some days certain issues just say no, and I have to stop. All good though, I get my activity in.
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    In my shed!

When I'm going down there to work out I say I am going to the "gym"

When I'm going down there to use the lathe or make stuff I say I am going to the "workshop"
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I have a gym next door to my office which I use most days.
    I have a decent set up in my garage for when I'm not going to work
    Heavy Bag, Spin bike and a servicable weights set.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Gym. My Y has a pool.
    Swim 4 miles a day 5 or more days a week
    Plus spinning classes and weights.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Smaller local gym - heavy(ier) lifting and treadmill
    OTF studio - lighter lifting, rowing, and HIIT
    Lake in backyard - kayaking, and pedal boating when the weather is nice
    Neighborhood and park across the street - fast paced walking with hill climbs.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    basement
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I do most of mine at the gym, but look forward to the day where I have a home gym. Running I do outside in the spring, summer, and fall (which, where I live is only about 6 months out of the year).
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    gym (pf) and at home - bands. exercise ball. weights. matt - subscription to body on demand
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Outside as much as possible but I have a treadmill, C2 rower & bike trainer in the basement. My weights, bench and rack are in the garage. I'm not a fan of paying a gym ad infintum for stuff I can do at home but I'm also lucky to have the space and recognize that not everyone does.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Treadmill in basement mostly, otherwise walk the neighborhood.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wilderness- hiking, trail running, rock scrambling.

Park - running

Gym - weights, treadmill (ugh)