Zoloft

Options
I was just put on Zoloft about a week ago and I keep hearing stories about people gaining a lot of weight while on it. Is anyone on it or has been on it and how do you deal with not gaining weight.

Replies

• red_hatorade
    Options
    I have been on it for about 2 months, and haven't really noticed any weight gain.
  • eteter2
    eteter2 Posts: 7
    Options
    I actually lost a little wait on it (this was years ago, haven't taken it in quite some time) but if I recall, my doctor mentioned this might happen. I have never heard of the opposite. (gaining weight)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The majority of antideppresants cause weight gain(Cymbalta and Welbutrin claim not to). Some from hormonal changes, which you cannot control. And some increase your hunger, which you CAN control by continuing to count calories and just not going over. Talk to your doctor about the estrogen levels in Zoloft. Higher levels means increased chance of weight gain. I gained when I took it. I lost when I took Cymbalta.
  • kimcatania
    Options
    It didn't seem to have any affect on weight gain for me at all. I'd lost about 50 lbs and started on zoloft a few years after. Never gained the weight back, and then got serious again and ended up losing another 10! I'm still on it now. I've gained about 7 pounds back but I can't blame it on the zoloft. I think that had more to do with the bag of hershey kisses in the house! LOL! Long story short- Just keep using MFP and eating right and you'll be fine. AND- The zoloft will make you feel a lot better about everything as well!
  • futurekilousky
    Options
    I have taken Zoloft and some other anti depressants over the years. I noticed myself a lot more hungry than usual, an increased appetite. I think that is the biggest thing that causes weight gain. Less of an unavoidable side effect and more something you can control with a good amount of will power =) hang in there
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    I have lost 125 pounds while taking zoloft daily. I don't think it has effected my weight one way or another. I've been on it since my son was born 4 1/2 years ago.