how important is sodium control

cmiles23
cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
Okay so everyone says sodium is super bad and makes you gain water weight and so on and so forth, but how important is lowering your sodium??? can you counteract eating alot of sodium by flushing it out by drinking alot of water??

Replies

• Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    without Sodium we die so its a double edge sword some where close to RDA sould be fine in most cases assuming you have no underlying heath issues
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    I think you can flush it out. You can also sweat it out. I drink alot of water during the day (3-4 liters) but my sodium intake is borderline, sometimes over the 2500 recommended by MFP. I do have a friend who SWEARS that watching her sodium and drinking water has aided her weight loss tremendously, she has lost 145 lbs.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    its good to keep it lower... but yea.. flush it out with lots of water.

i always found that i retain water if i've gone over my sodium in the days. i even feel kinda bloated...
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    without Sodium we die so its a double edge sword some where close to RDA sould be fine in most cases assuming you have no underlying heath issues

exactly. Sodium is an electrolyte that your heart needs to function properly. Too much and/or too little isn't a good thing.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Sodium affects different people in different ways. Some people experience a rise in blood pressure with higher sodium intake, some do not. Some people retain lots of water when they eat salty food, some do not. Some people sweat profusely, and flush out more sodium than someone who sweats less.

Personally, I don't watch my sodium intake because I've never had a problem with it impacting my blood pressure or weight loss. Also, I'm a champion sweater! Others might not experience sodium in the same way, and have better luck with weight loss when they keep an eye on their sodium levels.

I know 'Watch your sodium!' is a huge thing on MFP, but personally I say meh...
  • It is important to try to stay around the RDA. If you get too much sodium it can cause increase in blood pressure and water retention.
    When I first started using MFP I was mainly trying to get better control of my sodium to help combat my high blood pressure. By keeping my sodium at or slightly below the RDA I have been able to decrease my blood pressure on average from around 130 over 90 to 110 over 70.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Well... I want to see what others have to say because I've been wondering the same thing.

With that said, I try to watch my sodium, but if I go over on it, I don't freak out. I'm losing weight this way. BUT, I have a LOT more to lose than you, so the sodium levels are probably more important when you have less to lose. I plan to start really watching all of my nutrients a lot closer when I get closer to my goal weight.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    this might be worth a read

http://www.naturalnews.com/015820.html
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    If your blood pressure is OK, for health reasons, you don't really need to control it. But, yes, excessive sodium will cause water retention and bloating.

If you're eating whole, unprocessed foods, though, it's doubtful you need to worry about it. Even on my highest sodium days (unless I eat out), I'm lucky to get 2,000 mg (RDA is 2,300). Some days, I don't even get 1,000.

That's because I make most of my own food and eat a lot of whole foods.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    i try really hard to keep my sodium at 2000mg or under... if not, at least under 2500mg. i notice a HUGE difference when it's low all week.

i've heard lots of water and potassium counteracts it!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    I have very low blood pressure (like, 90/59 on a normal day) so I actually increased my sodium goal to 3000mg.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    thanks for all of the responses, i dont have any blood pressure problems and never had, i do however eat out way too much but i try to make healthy choices but sometimes i will see ive consumed 4000 sodium in a day while all other factors cals, protein, fat and carbs seems to be under goal.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    thanks for all of the responses, i dont have any blood pressure problems and never had, i do however eat out way too much but i try to make healthy choices but sometimes i will see ive consumed 4000 sodium in a day while all other factors cals, protein, fat and carbs seems to be under goal.

Even the healthy items at restaurants tend to be overloaded with sodium because it makes the taste stronger. Unless you stick to salad bars and keep total control over that stuff, eating out a lot is going to mean a lot of sodium. 4,000 is A LOT. I may have that much in a day once every couple months at most.