Cbt for overeating/ stress any recommendations of online services

Options
I’m not handling stress well. I don’t want to do go through gp as they have real problems to deal with and besides waiting list are v long. Has anyone every used an online can’t therapist or have any ideas where to get psychological support in the U.K. I think it’s less about the food- that’s just the avenue for poor stress control!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’m not handling stress well. I don’t want to do go through gp as they have real problems to deal with and besides waiting list are v long. Has anyone every used an online can’t therapist or have any ideas where to get psychological support in the U.K. I think it’s less about the food- that’s just the avenue for poor stress control!

This is a real problem. There is nothing wrong with seeing your GP.
  • Slayingdragons
    Slayingdragons Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live in the UK, you may be able to access IAPT services which are predominantly CBT without going through your GP - self referral. Try looking up NHS services in your area. You could also ask to see a practice nurse rather than a GP which might be quicker and might help to find something.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    Have you read "The Beck Diet Solution"? It's a CBT-based book about weight/food/coping etc.

Maybe you could find it at your library.
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Have you read "The Beck Diet Solution"? It's a CBT-based book about weight/food/coping etc.

Maybe you could find it at your library.

I haven’t but will look thank you!
  • juststartedrunningagain
    Options
    Depending on where you live in the UK, you may be able to access IAPT services which are predominantly CBT without going through your GP - self referral. Try looking up NHS services in your area. You could also ask to see a practice nurse rather than a GP which might be quicker and might help to find something.

Slaying dragons- thank you for your thoughtful response - I shall research! Googled cbt in my local area but nothing!
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. David Burns’ website https://feelinggood.com
    Scope out the podcasts, I believe you will find much of what you are searching for
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    so if you want to deal with stuff on your own, you probably won't have insights about what is going on without something to get you thinking in a different way. otherwise we all would have figured out our own problems, right? we often need someone or some information that helps us to look at the same facts in a different way. but insights can wait if you are trying todeal with somerhing you know is an issue: stress.

google stress reduction steps, cbt skills worksheet, and mindfulness tips. they can start you off with straightforward things to do.

but here is an example of what often happens: people are stressed, they look for ways to reduce stress so they can take more on. they often do not get to the bottom of habitual beliefs that will keep screwing them up. ie, i never tried to lose weight until i was 39 because my overall perfectionistic approach to life wouldn't let me try if i might fail. it's the black/white thinking or belief system that was the problem. so my stress reduction techniques did not work except to allow me to shoulder even more of my unrealistic burden.

so do what helps you, but please do allow that you might need an outside perspective, like we all do, to actually fix the problem.

take care and best of luck :)