faster recovery for sore/tired muscles

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
Any tips for how to speed up muscle recovery? Obviously stretching and eating/drinking right, but what else? Ive had good luck with epsom salt baths...but that could be all in my head.

Replies

• jellycar
    jellycar Posts: 40
    Options
    Protein!! It's what's your muscles need to repair themselves.

You don't have to have it in shake form like all the weight lifting pros will tell you.
    An increase in meats, beans/lentils will do the trick.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    advil, bengay, and keep movin :)
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've heard foam rolling helps with recovery but I've personally never tried it.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hot bath usually works best...or a sauna, ultimately. It just loosens up my sore muscles, then I have a good stretch after that and it really helps. I also take 800 mg ibuprofen if I have any lingering soreness after that, which is typically in my back.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of weight training, so extra cardio after my sessions helps reduce any DOMS I might develop. I'm also one of those Beachbody people who drinks the results & recovery formula post workout. a recovery drink could help. Try Gatorade G Series if you're looking for a low cost option. Whey protein helps if you add that to your diet. make a nice shake out of it. I add it to my shakes. True Protein (.com) sells whey protein concentrate really cheap and it's GOOD! My bro's a personal trainer and he told me about it. Available it LOTS of yummy flavors. They can even sweeten the mix with Stevia (all natural).
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Sauna or a bath can help, but thats very individual. For me sleep is by far the best recovery, I make sure to always sleep at least 7,5 hour or more. And to make sure I get a good sleep as well!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    also bananas. the potassium does wonders.
  • efokken
    efokken Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    mesage?..... foam rolling is great. I use that for my calves and hami's when they are really sore, it helps!!
  • bethanyranes
    bethanyranes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My workout buddy and I will often hop into the hot tub right after our swims for a post-workout chat fest. It's done wonders for preventing soreness!
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    Protein!! It's what's your muscles need to repair themselves.

You don't have to have it in shake form like all the weight lifting pros will tell you.
    An increase in meats, beans/lentils will do the trick.

I agree With Jelly Car!!!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    spinach, keep moving
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current recovery time, which muscle groups, and your workout. Somethings shouldn't be pushed. Are you weight lifting? Neglecting recovery time will only lead to a burn out, if that's the case.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I do lift a little, but tired legs and tight lats are what prompted my question. I'm training for a triathlon and am trying to up the intensity of my workouts.
  • Markus718
    Markus718 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Are you short on potassium? I took supplements and I got rid of the problem.
  • Krull_the_WarriorKing
    Options
    How often are you working out? Are you sore from weight training or from cardio? While the nutritional factors are most def. important you may need to allow your body more of a chance to recover between workouts.
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I do lift a little, but tired legs and tight lats are what prompted my question. I'm training for a triathlon and am trying to up the intensity of my workouts.
    [quote}

Good luck in your triathlon! I give you a lot of credit! When is it?
  • rhodesar
    rhodesar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    . I'm training for a triathlon

You are just going to be sore and achy a lot, at least that was my experience. When I was training and competing in tri's, I went to a chiropractor 2 days a week. He helped me tremendously, and I have no previous injuries to contend with. I was talking about the soreness my body was in one night with some friends, one whom was a chiropractor. I was a little hesitant, but figured what the heck. For me, it really allowed me to train harder, having my body in proper alignment. YMMV, and I realize there are a lot of opinions on chiros.

It's funny, when I was in uber-shape, I was always sore. When I became an obese couch potato, nothing hurt. Weird. Ironic.
  • morganginga
    morganginga Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this would work for you, but try taking Ibuprofen before working out. I read somewhere that it will help prevent the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles. I've done it for about a week now and it seems to help. As I'm sure you already do, stretch after working out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Any tips for how to speed up muscle recovery? Obviously stretching and eating/drinking right, but what else? Ive had good luck with epsom salt baths...but that could be all in my head.
    Actually good. Right nutrition, massage, and REST.