How to get good at not cheating on your diet?

Options
What are some techniques you use to avoid cheating on your diet? I'm looming for tips, I'm out of control lately and it's stalling my weight loss!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I try to change up my diet to keep it fresh and as exciting as possible. I try not to have the same thing from week to week, even with breakfast and lunch. Even just changing up the brand of yogurt or whatever else I get can make a difference.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options
    Pre plan my meal for the day.. have "snacks" to eat between meals if I'm hungry. All within daily allowance.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My deficit is such that I’m losing weight consistently, albeit slowly. I eat what I want within my calorie goals
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    LindaBeez wrote: »
    1. I pre-plan my meals (even looking at a restaurant menu and deciding what I will order prior to going out).
    2. I keep a running list of under 100 calorie go-to snacks to have in case I am feeling the urge to jump off a cliff.
    3. I have learned to say "NO" very firmly to my husband when he is scooping up ice cream/having snacks.
    4. I have found herbal teas...Pepperment, Lemon and Licorice......all give me a taste sensation of having a treat without the calories.
    5. I cook and make meals that make me feel good (and full), freezing the leftovers, so I don't have to think so much about food all the time.
    6. I enter recipes into MFP and determine beforehand whether or not they will fit into my day.
    7. I stay away from "trigger" foods...for me, soda (even diet) will make me eat everything in the kitchen.
    8. I try to remember the big picture...I am doing this for me, so why undermine myself?? 😁😁😁

This is true for me too-flavored bean coffees and flavored teas are great afternoon/evening fillers with no calories :)
  • TerylOz
    TerylOz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to "cheat" but still stay within my caloric limits. That way dieting feels less like punishment so the urge to cheat is lessened. I love a sweet treat after dinner & found that one square of good quality dark chocolate does the trick quite nicely.

I also use a phone app to track what I eat. Seeing the caloric values of what I've already consumed vs whats left helps keep me motivated to stay on track.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If your diet consists of a variety of food that you enjoy, and you manage to keep it nutritious and mindful of the calorie content, no cheating is ever required ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I try to change up my diet to keep it fresh and as exciting as possible. I try not to have the same thing from week to week, even with breakfast and lunch. Even just changing up the brand of yogurt or whatever else I get can make a difference.

This is key for me too. Getting into food ruts has always just been a way of eating for me (I legit ate the same thing for lunch every day for 4 years while I was in high school), and I married a man and had children who are the same way!

Realizing that the ruts would lead me into hitting a wall of boredom and frustration that needed release was a huge step for me in terms of getting a grip on some problematic eating behaviors.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict myself from foods I want to eat. While I have a meal plan I rarely stick to it but I'm still hitting my goals because I make sure I hit my calorie target over the course of a week. I don't let day to day variations bother me (i.e. if I'm 200 cals over one day, I'll make that up over the next day or two and be a little under).
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think more generically than pre-plan, make the hard choices automatic or weighted in favor of the weight loss outcome. Choosing not to eat a sweet is an easier choice if it isn't in clear view making not eating it a constant willpower using choice, and even more so if there's nothing in the house which means the choice requires deliberating going somewhere to get something.
  • 123jessiebee
    123jessiebee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position as you lol
  • ecmorgan101
    ecmorgan101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For me, it was an adjustment to my eating schedule.

I'm a teacher so I get up at 5, have to be in the hall at 6:40 and have students 7-2. My lunch break is 10:30. I'm not usually hungry when I wake up.

So now, I sometimes have something small around 8 or 8:30 if I get hungry. And by this I mean an apple or something. I have a lunch at 10:30 and I've gotten really good at having a protein and fruit lunch. Calories are reasonable, and it is filling.

The big switch came with me moving my dinner to about 3:30. Then about 8 or 9, I'll have a small snack.

With this adjustment, even if I wake up hungry and have something for breakfast, I find it far easier to keep my calories under the daily goal.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Not buying cheat foods to begin with is my personal greatest method of being adherent...plan out your cheat meal or cheat day (...><...) in advance (once every 1-2 weeks, etc. based on how hard into dieting you are) as a mental reward for staying adherent.