Looking for buddies trying to find their body underneath all this fat

Options
Hi!

I am going to be 45 next month and I can finally say I have had it. I am done sitting here trying to figure out the next fad diet to try, etc. I finally broke down after I was told I cannot have my knee replacement surgery and talk to an Obese Dr. I had blood work taken and was told I have Leptin Resistance, basically my stomach and brain arn't communicating correctly. She has put me on a few low grade meds to try out and suggested to start on here to watch what I eat. So much so that she too will be monitoring through here to see if i need to change anything. If I cheat I will record it, if I do great I will record it. Nothing is out of bounds. I would love to find some buddies who are trying to lose weight as well so we can keep each other on the right track. Feel free to add me!!!! I plan on status updating multiple times a day with the emotional roller coaster this is about to be, but hey I am soooo ready for it. Bring it on! :smiley:

Shan

Replies

• kahart625
    kahart625 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard the roller coaster, I hope you enjoy the ride! Tracking really does help, if nothing else, you really get a big picture of what you're putting in your body. The carbs that are hidden everywhere and the sugar! Going cold turkey and switching to an extreme diet can be rough and can set you up for failure. STarting making small changes each day or week. Commit to no soda, and cut back on sweets until you eliminate them. There are alot of great sugar free options out there now, even in ice cream, and flavored waters at the grocery store are actually pretty good as an alternative to soda. Make a commitment to have balanced meals, with every meal, have a protien, fruit, veggie, fiber. You'll see your meals getting better each week and healthier.
    Good Luck!
  • shannong311
    shannong311 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I cut soda about 20 years ago so i'm good there, i love plain old water. I plan on taking your advice thought small steps each week, cut out small things here and there and figure out what works for me. Thanks for the add!!
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    hi how are u I am john really want to help u please add me
  • Krissylynn423
    Krissylynn423 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi fee free to add me 😊
  • Newby1974
    Newby1974 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    New here also. Jan 25, 2019 I discovered the Samsung Health app on my phone. I had been going to the gym, but finding the Health app seems to have changed how I approach things. It led me to MFP and I use them together.

I was bumping 206 lbs. I couldn't remember my exact weight, so my first day is logged at 205. This morning, my dry weight was 196.

What I've done? Some Herbalife stuff like a week of Prolessa. Started visiting a weight loss clinic. But mainly just trying to cut back on unhealthier foods. As a day cab trucker it is way too easy to operate on a bag of chips and a couple of fried burritos.

Thinking I was doing a lil better, I've long used the Gatorade protein bars for breakfast. My nutritionist said those are not near as healthy as we are led to believe. Instead of regular peanut butter she recommended the PB2 (I believe it was) powdered peanut butter.

It's tough because we generally hit the drive thru several nights a week because nobody really feels like cooking. And seeing how I'm the only one in the house interested in healthier eating, it's been very frustrating trying to feed everyone and keep the grocery bill manageable.

Since I'm wanting to start taking supplements for my workouts I have begun making the move to ordering pure products online over store bought. The store bought stuff has additives for flavoring and fillers. Ordering online allows me to spend the same amount of money as in-store except the products have zero additives (like in concentrate) and should last me months in many cases because there is more in the package than the store bought.

I started working out and gaining weight. I realized I was adding muscle without burning fat. I know I got a lil bit of sexy under here, I just gotta get to where it can be seen. My wife thinks I'm looking a lil better, so she may feel a lil threatened. She suggested I celebrate my weight loss by eating a cake. The whole cake. With extra frosting. Wash it down with beer. LOL... I'm kidding about that last part.
  • shannong311
    Options
    LOL, I was just talking to my daughter about cake for my birthday next month and said I only want one slice, and I don't want to buy a whole cake. They actually do that now so I am going to take advantage of it. You sound like you are doing really great Newby, I added you as a friend maybe we can keep each other motivated. My boyfriend has been a great support system, but he is a marine and built so I don't think he quite gets the struggle that goes with this. But he supports me regardless. If anyone else wants to add me please do!!
  • RollieThomson
    RollieThomson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rollie I am new here, add me if you want because I don't know how to add people yet. LOL. I'm good with the Fitbit group just don't know how this works. LOL
  • shannong311
    Options
    So Far So good. :) Hope everyone else is doing well.
  • Ravenskies7
    Ravenskies7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started this app quite awhile ago and just decided to use it today. Add me too!
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    HI Welcome! Lets Do This Journey!
  • shannong311
    Options
    Almost into my first week, been an interesting ride so far. Feel free to add me as a friend if you need a friend or to just read my a rant on why brussel sprouts will never be cool :P