It's more than just a number!

Options
I was thinking the other day how I orginally wanted to get down to 130 lbs. I thought that would be a good weight for me. I'm 5'4" (use to be 5'3"). The old rule of thumb was 100 lbs for 5 ft and 5 lbs for each inch after that. I thought that was insane and knew I would never look good at 115 or 120 lbs.

Now that I've lost 91 lbs, I am at 144. To look at the number I see...that's still alot. However, I'm sitting here in a size 4. I'm becoming quite aware that using a number as a guideline can be so misleading. I'm healthy...I eat right, exercise. And yet, someone with the same height as myself could weigh the same and be wearing a size 10 or on the other side of it, someone wearing a size 4 could weigh way less than me (infact I thought most woman would have to weigh 120 at minimum to wear a size 4).

So, I'm telling this to you so that you can see that it is more than just a number. How do you feel? Not just how do your pants fit. But, how do you FEEL? Do you have more energy? Are your bones aching less? Are you able to get off the couch without struggling? Can you go just a little farther on your walk?

I bet you can answer a lot more questions to show you that you are making the right choices. It isn't about how low the number can get, but rather how your body feels.

I am still obsessed with weighing myself. I know that number means something to me. However, I still remind myself every day that I feel great! No more arthritis medication. No more asthma medication. No more saying, I wish I could keep up with my kids...now I run circles around them!

Replies

• cbarnes6852
    Options
    Well said. Keep up the good work.
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    I do get obsessed with the scale as well...but have to put that behind me. I have only lost 1 pound since I started (a week ago) but after losing 100 pounds three years ago it is a lot harder this time. I do notice my clothes fit better, I have more energy, and I feel better about myself! You are correct. It is more than just a number. I would never look healthy at the supposed goal the charts would have me at. I am muscular, have bigger legs, and even at my smallest in high school when I was in a size 6 I looked super thin! My goal is to get back into an 8 from a size 10 and just keep exercising and eating great! Great post from you! Thanks.
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I really like this rule of thumb!! It's means I am only 10 lbs away from my weight with this rule!! lol however I would still like to get to 140 which is 20 lbs from where I am today
  • jeepgirl001
    Options
    Wow, you look great! 144 and a size 4 that's amazing. I am down to 136 and I am between a size 6 and 8. I agree with you. Numbers are great but It is about how you feel. I feel great at this weight. WELL DONE!!:drinker:
  • jridgway49
    Options
    I just turn 50 yrs in July, after losing 32 pds I went from a sz 12 in pants to a 4/6 and a 1x in tops to a m/l, I'm 5'1 in. and 141 now, my goal weight is 115, wondering what size I will be, a 0 ...lol hope not cause that seems really small, the main problem area is my tummy...
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I read that and I do understand what you are saying and I can say it all day until I'm blue in the face. However, the switch has not flipped for me. I am still obsessed with the number. I have a lot a muscle tone and wearing a size 6 (comfortably) at 5'9". I've struggled all my life with that number..... even though 7yrs ago I was all of 133lbs and barely a size 4, I still thought I was too heavy.
    Right now I still have a few pairs of pants that fit a bit too tight. Once they fit, I do hope to convince myself to stop and be happy....regardless of the number!!

WTG on your success!!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Well said.
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the other day how I orginally wanted to get down to 130 lbs. I thought that would be a good weight for me. I'm 5'4" (use to be 5'3"). The old rule of thumb was 100 lbs for 5 ft and 5 lbs for each inch after that. I thought that was insane and knew I would never look good at 115 or 120 lbs.

Now that I've lost 91 lbs, I am at 144. To look at the number I see...that's still alot. However, I'm sitting here in a size 4. I'm becoming quite aware that using a number as a guideline can be so misleading. I'm healthy...I eat right, exercise. And yet, someone with the same height as myself could weigh the same and be wearing a size 10 or on the other side of it, someone wearing a size 4 could weigh way less than me (infact I thought most woman would have to weigh 120 at minimum to wear a size 4).

So, I'm telling this to you so that you can see that it is more than just a number. How do you feel? Not just how do your pants fit. But, how do you FEEL? Do you have more energy? Are your bones aching less? Are you able to get off the couch without struggling? Can you go just a little farther on your walk?

I bet you can answer a lot more questions to show you that you are making the right choices. It isn't about how low the number can get, but rather how your body feels.

I am still obsessed with weighing myself. I know that number means something to me. However, I still remind myself every day that I feel great! No more arthritis medication. No more asthma medication. No more saying, I wish I could keep up with my kids...now I run circles around them!

***This has been the most inspiring post I have read since being a member on My Fitness Pal. I myself weigh 145 right now and want to be at 140, ideally 130-135, but I feel great now and I have noticed many many things that are different. I agree 110% with what you said. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!!!

P.S. I'm 5'3" and a mother to a 3 year old (back to my pre pregnancy weight)!!!

I wish you the best! :flowerforyou:
  • jtucker42
    jtucker42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It isn't about how low the number can get, but rather how your body feels.

...and how you feel about your body.

Do you like the person staring back at you in the mirror or who that person is becoming?
  • sara_rose
    sara_rose Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff. I am a little possessed with the scale as well. However, I just have to keep reminding myself that God made everyone unique. "You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb." God knew exactly what size we would be before we were even born. When my husband and I first started dating, I was seventeen years old and weighed 135 lbs. I am 5'8" and I was still a size 12. That is just how I am suppose to be. And I am getting used to that. I have to make peace with the body that the Good Lord has given me. It is just my responsibility to take care of it. Great work and you look AMAZING!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!