Swimming! Tips?

emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I’m training for a half marathon (week 1 of 12 on my program). One day a week, Sunday, I’m supposed to do an hour of cross training. I’ve decided to swim, because a friend of mine is trying to convince me to do future triathlons with her.

Although I’m comfortable in a pool (grew up with one), I’ve only ever swam for exercise when pregnant (and just with my first pregnancy 12 years ago—after that I was too busy with little ones).

My question is: any tips on how to begin? Should I just start swimming freestyle and see how long I can go (nowhere near an hour I’m sure). Should I do 100 yards and take a break, then go again? Should I mix up the strokes? Or does it not matter?

My three daughters are on the swim team, but they’re too advanced for me. So I’m asking my MFP peeps.
Thank you!

Replies

• emilysusana
    I should add—I’ve been doing cardio and strength training for about 2 months. So I’m not going into this completely cold!
  • emilysusana
    Thanks for all the tips! I’d say right now the tri is a secondary goal for me (if I do one this year it will be late summer), and right now my main focus is getting 60 minutes of cross training exercise each week. This seemed like a fun way to do that. We’ll see how long I can make it today...
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    We have. a group her called Swimmers!
    Come by and check it out.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Swim 100 yds + break sounds like the best idea.. Use whichever strokes you enjoy. The thing is to get moving and get reacquainted with your strokes & form. Your daughter's can surely give you some drills. Look into adult swim classes and/or masters swim to fine tune technique and vpbuild endurance.

At 63 I swam the swim leg of a tri sprint last summer & planning to do Indivudual tri this summer.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I alternate strokes. I'm stronger and last longer with breaststroke, but am faster with freestyle. It's good to have a recovery stroke, so practice to see what feels comfortable. I agree that good goggles are a must; aquaspheres work well for me. I use diluted baby shampoo in a mini spray bottle as anti-fog. It works great and doesn't sting.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member

^
    This only works if you can swim all 4 strokes. If not, nevermind...
  • tess453
    tess453 Posts: 121 Member
    @emilysusana I've done 2 sprint triathlons and about to do my third at the end of this month. I would not call myself a triathlete in the slightest, just someone who occasionally signs up to do something stupid for motivation!

As a total novice I completely get your hesitance about signing up. The things I learnt from my first:

Ease yourself into swimming and just get used to it again. Don't worry about speed or stroke at first, nothing worse than feeling like you're drowning! I'd second the suggestion to have adult swim lessons to top up your ability. I signed up for a 10 week course which forced me to swim regularly, improved my ability and confidence.

Secondly, I'd opt for a pool triathlon first. You swim in lanes at staggered intervals, alot easier to concentrate without worrying about people around you. I only do pool (but that's due to a weird fear of fish.. )

Final bit of advice, if you want to do breast stroke then do breast stroke. Lots of people do, just do what makes you feel most comfortable. If you're stressed from the outset you won't enjoy it.

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I probably shouldn't reply because I'm not exactly a moderate swimmer.
    I'd say use swimming to help build overall endurance and breathing capacity.
    Swim as far as you can. Rest not more than a minute, start again.
    I can not run due to arthritis.
    But I can swim the equivalent of 2 Olympic marathon swims with just a few minutes total rest.