Indian foodie needs help

Options
Hey everyone! I'm really excited to seriously start my journey on MyFitnessPal with you all. I'm very used to having Indian dishes with loads of rice and I need help in figuring out my meals.

I know what my intake of calories and macronutrients should be but I'm not used to cooking anything other than Indian curries. I hope someome can guide me to creating recipes out of my habit!

Replies

• GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Far more experienced MFP folks than me will tell you the most important thing to lose weight is to stay in a calorie deficit. You might want to enter the recipes you make into MFP, taking care to weigh the ingredients first so that you get an accurate idea of calories/serving. Just knowing that can be an eye opener. Don't forget to include cooking oil. Then you can adjust the amount you eat accordingly, and/or sub ingredients with fewer calories (yogurt instead of cream, for instance). As for rice, you could try substituting cauliflower rice (I prefer frozen varieties) or just eat less rice. Or maybe you could eat the curried vegetables or meat like a stew or with lentils instead of adding a starch? If you're vegetarian, you might consider bumping up lentils and other proteins, which could help you feel more full.
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    yeah, specific advice will not be from me, but perhaps a good rule of thumb is to eat less calorie dense food (foods that have lots of calorie per gram) and eat more calorie diffuse (is that even a correct term?) foods such as water laden veggies that have fewer calories per gram. eg more zucchini and mushrooms fewer potatoes and bananas. (not none, just less)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like vahrehvah.com - he is from Hyderabad and has lots of diet friendly dishes.

Curries can be healthy, just watch the amount of oil/ghee and add extra vegetables, then eat a modest portion of rice and bread. Mixing something like cauliflower rice with a smaller portion of good quality basmati rice can be a good compromise.