Something has happened with my voice/hiccups are gone

Options
Hello all! I'm curious as if this has happened to anyone. So about a week ago i was singing in my car and i got to the point where i'd usually bow out, but my throat was cleared...and i can sing higher! Also, for as long as i can remember i could not scream without getting blocked by a hiccup. I've lost about 33 pounds or so. 6'0" dude who started at 258, now about 225ish. I'm just curious if there is any reason to this or if this is normal when you lose weight.

Thank You!

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound like it's related to weight at all. That your range (upper or lower) is blocked by a hiccup sounds a bit odd to begin with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well if obstructive sleep apnea can be improved by losing weight, perhaps something similar is going on with your singing.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a biomedical engineer, I can tell you this could make sense. Your insides push down on your diaphragm, which is the muscle that lets you breathe by basically moving your chest. It is theorized that if you diaphragm spasams you get hiccups. Now that you are adding less force on your diaphragm the stimulus that caused the hiccups is not strong enough to cause them any more. Hope that helps.