Fermented foods

Options
What has been your experience using fermented foods for weight loss & what are your favorite recipes?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fermented foods don't do a thing for weight loss. It's all about the calorie deficit. Wine tends to be higher in calories than sauerkraut, so you can probably fit more of the latter into your daily allotment.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Generally, the sugars are broken down by fermentation so calories are down from the original form. But there are still calories to count and if you ferment your own it is hard to know how many. I got into fermenting pickles, saurkraut, and ginger ale for a while and they were usually delicious. There was no weight loss magic pill though.
  • TerylOz
    TerylOz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Aside from calorie counting, I like that the probiotics help with digestion & nutrient absorption, so in some ways, less is more - "getting a bigger bang for the buck" as it were.

I love fermented carrots as a snack & am trying some new recipes but would love to hear what some of you are doing.

Is anyone out there brewing their own kombucha sodas or kefir sodas? Id love to hear how that's working for you. So far I've only been successful making a lemon ginger kefir soda that I absolutely love, but I'm not sure how to calculate the calories.
  • Geri_Gets_Strong
    Options
    My favorite is fermented garlic and honey! So delicious!!! Carrots, garlic, and dill are good too!
    I eat fermented foods daily. It’s really helped my digestive system. I use to get bloated every time I ate. I guess I’ve healed myself by growing good bacteria. I’ve also made milk keifer, Keifer cheese (its awesome), water keifer (my favorite drink) and kombutcha.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wine is fermented and so are pickles and salami. And so is cheese. I could continue.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    By "what's working" do you mean "what tasty things are you making and what turned out pretty awful" or "what things are helping you lose weight"? My response will be radically different depending on what you're looking for.