Hey, back again but pregnant this time

Options
So I started dieting a few days before I found out I was pregnant. I'm currently just over 4 weeks. So very early stages, I am clinically obese, for 10+ years I have yoyo dieted. Always believing "I'll do it this time" well I'm not gonna say that as I always Jinx it lol, I'm doing pretty well so far, I had got up to my heaviest 15st 3lbs roughly I just knew I had to get back and start losing it, I refuse to get bigger basically! I have been sticking to around 1300 cal meals and doing daily exercise on my treadmill etc. I'm not just doing this for my weight its also to get me feeling fit! I struggle with fitness so bad and I'm starting to feel I have more energy already. My weight has been dropping as I knew it would, but i thinking eventually I'll have to stop recording my weight as i get bigger with pregnancy as it'll look like I'm getting "fat weight" ?? Anyways would love more friends or people in the same shoes as me would be great!

Replies

• lesa_marie33
    lesa_marie33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! I’m pregnant too and started my pregnancy out 40lbs heavier than my last three pregnancies 😕 and gained 50lbs with each of those pregnancies so I’m already about my delivery weight. I’ve been watching what I eat for the most part and trying to consistently workout. My starting weight was 180 and I’m at 190 now & 25 weeks pregnant and I’m in the same boat not wanting to gain any more than needed
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Just a little concerned, have you checked with your GP that it's safe to be on a low calorie diet while you're growing a new life inside you? Not judging, just wanna make sure you've checked as I thought you needed to take in a few extra calories above maintenance to support the extra demands on your body and to give adequate nourishment to the foetus, also congrats!
  • RevolvingDoor
    RevolvingDoor Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @39flavours anyone starting at a heavier weight can maintain or even lose in pregnancy as long as they eat a balanced diet and don't starve themselves. Prenatal vitamins and monitoring by the doctor are vital. I was obese and just starting here again when I found out I was pregnant. I'm now 32 weeks and have only gained 10 pounds, which is good because I started too heavy to begin with. Congrats @LynseyJane90 - I will add you!
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,761 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While I agree it can be safe for overweight women to maintain or lose during pregnancy, I disagree that 1300 calories is a safe amount. To me, it's too little food/too aggressive of a deficit when growing a human inside you. I agree the OP should check with her primary doctor or gynecologist now, and with her obstetrician as the pregnancy progresses.

OP can probably eat at maintenance and still end up losing weight as the baby grows. Then when she reaches the second trimester she only needs about 300-400 extra calories per day. The old adage of "eating for two" has been shown to be incorrect. ;)

It's a delicate balance - health of the mom and health of the baby. Adequate nutrition is important to have a healthy baby, so personally I would not take such an aggressive deficit.

Either way, wishing all of you ladies the best with your pregnancies. :flowerforyou:
  • skoz18
    skoz18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

I am currently just over 8 weeks pregnant. I was at a healthy weight when we got pregnant just not the weight I wanted to be at. I have had horrible morning sickness and eating less because I can not stomach most foods. I've lost 7lbs. I have changed my diet and I am eating healthier foods. I mentioned the weight loss to my Dr. He said its completely fine, especially in the first trimester. The baby will tell me when I need to eat. I found this to be true, I am hungry when I am hungry. I would like to maintain a healthier weight during my pregnancy and try not gain as much.

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I would like to reemphasize talking with your doctor about doing any sort of calorie restriction. While I am by no means an expert, 1300 does sound awfully low for being pregnant. You have all the time in the world once the baby is born to lose weight. Right now the most important thing is to make sure you are getting the proper nutrients for your baby.

Congrats on the new baby!
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Thanks for advice guys, with every pregnancy I always put on at least 2 stone and I read up on alot of info saying it is actually safe to lose weight if youre obese whilst pregnant, mind you I'm not sure about the calorie intake as I just used the MFP calculator. It would be great if there was an option for pregnancy so it can calculate that into it. I will speak to my doctor and find out what is best to do :)

Edit: Rang up wont get appointment until this Friday for a phone call, so busy :/
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    NHS guidelines:

What about weight during pregnancy?

The amount of weight a woman may gain in pregnancy varies a great deal, and only some of it is due to increased body fat. The unborn child, placenta, amniotic fluid and increases in maternal blood and fluid volume all contribute to weight gain during pregnancy.
    •Dieting during pregnancy is not recommended as it may harm the health of the child.
    •There is no need to ‘eat for two’ or drink full-fat milk (as opposed to lower-fat milk). Energy needs do not change in the first six months of pregnancy. Only in the last three months do a woman’s energy needs increase by around 200 calories per day.
    •Moderate-intensity physical activity will not harm the mother or baby. At least 30 minutes per day of moderate intensity activity is recommended. This can include activities such as swimming or brisk walking. If women have not exercised routinely up to that point, they should begin with no more than three 15-minute sessions a week, increasing gradually to daily 30-minute sessions.
    •There are no formal evidence-based guidelines from the UK Government or professional bodies on what constitutes appropriate weight gain during pregnancy.

From here: https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/new-weight-advice-for-pregnancy/

I would stick to maintenance calories until you can speak to your GP x
  • BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just added another almost 300 cals to my calorie intake, hoping that's better for now :)