Night shift

Options
My new position has me working a lot more Night Shift than usual. Anybody have any suggestions as to how the to make the grind a little more bearable?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Can be easier to set up logging by hours rather than standard meal names. i.e. 00:00-06:00 instead of breakfast, 06:00-12:00 instead of lunch, etc.

Otherwise just focus on getting good rest in your off hours and the rest should fall into place.
  • SCStatie
    SCStatie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That’s a great idea thanks!
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I worked graveyard for a couple years. I made a point of working out after my shift was over as my sleep and energy rhythm seemed to better align to that period. I made a point of eating small meals 5-6 whether I was hungry or not. Also scheduled in a daily nap too.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Would opt for going with a consistent schedule if possible (nights vs. rotating shifts) for maintaining a regular rhythm
  • Xlivnfree1982
    Xlivnfree1982 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I work 3pm - 4am. I log normally. Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack. During the week never log dinner becuase my lunch is dinner. I'm up at about 12pm. Work out from 1-2. Get ready for work after workout Go to work.

I stop eating about 10 PM. And don't eat again till about 12:30. Best luck. Your body gets used to the long period of time not eating. Well mine did. I find protien filled breakfast and lunch helps.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out in any given 24hr period. Don't get caught up on what time to eat.

Eat when hungry but stay under calorie goal.

Find a 24hr gym if possible.
  • SCStatie
    SCStatie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys luckily we have a decent gym at station so that will help. The biggest thing will be getting my eating right
  • Pollymopol5
    Pollymopol5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can be easier to set up logging by hours rather than standard meal names. i.e. 00:00-06:00 instead of breakfast, 06:00-12:00 instead of lunch, etc.

I second this, I do 3 nights 7:30pm-8am a week and find that logging this way works best for me, I also try and work out during the day before starting my night and then have the other two nights as rest days seen as I'm on my feet and active during my night shifts. I also have breakfast when I get home (about 8:45) go to bed, wake up and have my evening meal and then have a 'lunch' equivalent at about 2am. I've found keeping my meal times the same as a normal day works so well for transitioning back to days and keeps me fuller during the night.
  • jowhitehouse
    jowhitehouse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for advice regarding the same thing! I did not know you could change to hours. Thanks!