Out for 3 months... how to get match fit quick? (Football/Soccer)

Options
Hello all,

I have two questions..

I’ve just started playing football again at a decent level, after having a stress fracture in my shin. I should mention that it’s fully healed now.

Firstly, what is the best way/quickest way to get match fit? I was thinking a mix of sprints and mid distance on a treadmill at the gym?

Secondly, how do I stop my legs getting heavy during a game? Muscle endurance work?

Thanks,
Charlie.

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd start out slow and limit your sprints and follow that old, time tested runner's rule of not adding more than 10% a week. Otherwise, you could be risking reinjury.

I'd also consider using a Stationary Bike (or Assault Bike if you have access to one) or an Indoor Rower and lessoning the stress while you're gaining in cardio endurance. I'd hold off on the sprints for a bit until your base is better.

Consult with your PT always.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'd agree
    ... coming back from a stress fracture in the shin, I'd say long slow distance until running for an hour just feels normal. Then start doing speed drills.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I concur with those who have posted already.
    But, you are going to need to do some sprinting.
    I recently saw that John Terry does (used to do?) a kind of sprinting workout on the treadmill where he would sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, sprint for 20 seconds, rest for 40, etc., etc.
    I am loathe to mention how many rounds he did and how fast he set the treadmill, because it was a lot and the treadmill setting was fast.
    But anyone could set up their own workout with the same pattern and use it to get better week to week.
    I guess the idea of using a treadmill instead of going out to a track is that you cannot cheat on a treadmill, even when you get tired. You either go as fast as the setting or you fly off the back.
    All that said, remember that the only way to truly get match fit is to play matches.
    I was always a very active person in my off-seasons -- jogging, pick-up games once or even twice a week. But that first actual game of the season always left me with my hands on my knees and panting after the first 10 minutes or so, and it wasn't until the third or fourth game that I got my wind.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    When you figure out, write the book and it’ll be a best seller. Nothing worth a darn is begotten quick but, rather, with strong desire, discipline, patience and perseverance.

Trying quickly is s recipe for injury but have fun trying. Be safe.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not enough info to reply.

What is the timeline before first game?
    How often/long are you practicing currently?
    Are you strength training currently and how long?
    Are there other cardio activities currently?
    How much time/days/slots do you have available for cardio/strength training?