Confused regarding activity level

Options
Afternoon everyone.

I’ve been calorie counting using mfp since January 5th and to date I’ve lost 17lbs but still have a way to go (looking to lose another 30lbs)

My weight has been stuck on 200lb for nearly 2 weeks now and I’m worried I’ve either not been eating enough calories or have been eating too many. The reason I say this is because when I signed up I chose, ‘not very active’ in the activity level drop down.
I picked this because I don’t go to the gym or do any fitness classes however I walk daily up to 18,000 steps (kids, school run, housework etc) and friends have suggested that this would be classed as ‘lightly active’ so would make a difference because I’d need to eat more calories.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what activity level 18k steps would suit? I’m worried I’m over eating or under eating and don’t want to stall my weight loss.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
Claire x

Replies

• sammie754
    sammie754 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • lovelyclaire86
    lovelyclaire86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie, at the moment it’s between 1500-1600. I was considering upping it to 1700 after looking online but I’m fearful it’ll undo my work so far x
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    wow that is a lot of steps. for me that would be 9 miles and about 1800 calories of exercise or 1/2 pound. do you think that activity like vacuuming may be inflating the number? maybe you need to put the step counter on the other hand, or maybe you are really going the distance :)

I cripped the advice below after googling steps sedentary

Walking and Activity Levels
    Researchers at Arizona State University have established baseline activity levels based on the number of steps taken each day. People who take fewer than 5,000 steps are considered to be sedentary or inactive. Those who take 5,000 to 7,499 steps daily have a low active lifestyle. Somewhat active people usually take 7,500 to 9,999 steps per day. People considered to be active take 10,000 or more steps per day.

Walking for Weight Loss
    About 10,000 steps is the equivalent of exercising strenuously for 30 minutes, or walking five miles per day. By following this routine, you'll expend an additional 2,000 to 3,500 calories per week. One pound of fat equals 3,500 calories. The average American takes 2,300 to 3,000 steps per day. This is a dismal rate compared to the Amish people, who take an average of 19,000 steps per day. The Amish community has the lowest percentage of obese adults compared with the American population at large
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    18k steps is active/very active.

How are you measuring your intake? are you using a food scale, because not using one is the likeliest culprit and you are eating more than you think.
  • NBTenere
    NBTenere Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Claire! You've lost 17 pounds in just 6 weeks! That is very, very good indeed. My own experience is not half as good as yours. Keep up the excellent work, and you will get there.

All of the other comments directed your way seem spot on: make sure your steps and activities are being tracked correctly, use a food scale (it's a pain, but I do it), be as meticulous as you can in your food log, and the graph above is quite telling.

I've been at this 2 weeks now, and my results look like that graph. Keep the faith: you can do this. PK
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Thank you for everyone’s replies and support.

I had, up to this week, been using my iphone to track my steps. The school run alone (2 schools in opposite directions) would clock up to 12k. But obviously once in the house my phone would sit on the side and any steps would be missed. Also if I placed my phone inside the pram when walking it would miss loads! My sister in law gave me an old Fitbit style tracker she wasn’t using and I’ve been using is for the past 2 days and the end of the day its been averaging 18k.

To weigh my food I’ve got some digital scales so I’m confident I’ve been measuring stuff correctly there. I’m just trying to figure out my exercise/calorie balance which has been trickier than I imagined.

I might try to change the activity level and see what difference that makes to my calories.

It’s strange because since starting using mfp I’ve got used to not over eating like I used to and sometimes I’m struggling to use up all my calories by the end of the end day x
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    MFP very active is an activity factor of 1.8 and usually tops out before 16k steps. You're closer to an AF of 1.9

Your deficit has been excessive as can be seen by your speed of weight loss.

You may want to consider a re-feed or short diet break before continuing with a less aggressive deficit.

You would probably benefit by starting to use a weight trend application...

• lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Exactly! I keep thinking ‘more calories = weight gain’ 🙈 I also think a factor is that I’ve been spoiled with the weight coming off so quickly that now it’s slowing down I’m worrying.

It’s not a Fitbit, it’s a cheap as chips tracker my sister in law got somewhere. Does the basics but I can’t link it to mfp unfortunately.

I’ll look to upping my calories and see how I go over the next few weeks.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions xx
  • sammie754
    sammie754 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Sammie, at the moment it’s between 1500-1600. I was considering upping it to 1700 after looking online but I’m fearful it’ll undo my work so far x

I am about the same weight as you and am eating 1350 calories a day, which was set by my nutrition coach. I try to walk on my lunch everyday about 45-minutes to an hour and also spin for 20-45 minutes a day. I would caution if your using a cheap tracker that you may not be getting as many steps as you think. When I had a fitbit I would get an extra 500-750 steps just by driving to work.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you don’t have a Fitbit, but most of your activity is from steps, maybe consider getting one? This is my second (alas!) weight loss journey on MFP but my first with a Fitbit. I set my activity on MFP to “sedentary.” So any steps beyond sedentary are added as exercise automatically by the Fitbit.

I got 18K once. That day I ran 4 miles on the treadmill (I think my Fitbit only logged 3.5 but whatevs) and then cleaned the whole house top to bottom and then grocery shopped. Didn’t sit down for more than 5 minutes until dinner at 6. If you’re getting that many steps a day, you should be eating them (or, as I do, eating back half).

That said, I think 2 weeks isn’t enough to show a stall in loss. I have a 2 week stretch without the scale going down just about every month.
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have considered getting a Fitbit. I might need to look into getting one in payday. It’s just the price that puts me off so will see if there are any deals going.

The school run is a big help with my steps. Without it I’d struggle to get as many steps in. I worked it out this evening that the distance to and from both schools (twice a day) is 3.9miles then I’m home and cleaning, cooking, dealing with the kids so on my feet most of the day. I just wish someone could say ‘eat this many calories’ so I didn’t have to figure out what’s going to work best for me. Its all trial and error. I think I’ll keep walking as I have been and just try to tweak the calories I’m using to find what works best x
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I have considered getting a Fitbit. I might need to look into getting one in payday. It’s just the price that puts me off so will see if there are any deals going.

The school run is a big help with my steps. Without it I’d struggle to get as many steps in. I worked it out this evening that the distance to and from both schools (twice a day) is 3.9miles then I’m home and cleaning, cooking, dealing with the kids so on my feet most of the day. I just wish someone could say ‘eat this many calories’ so I didn’t have to figure out what’s going to work best for me. Its all trial and error. I think I’ll keep walking as I have been and just try to tweak the calories I’m using to find what works best x

Based on the rate you have been losing at, you could add about 400 calories a day and still see about 2lbs per week loss for awhile (eventually it will slow as your body gets smaller). If you set your activity level to active on MFP it should add about 400 calories for you.
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Thanks Shadow2soul. I’ve changed my activity level to active this afternoon so I’m interested to see how I get on. I’m itching to see the 100’s on the scale and have been hovering over 200lb for the past 2 weeks.
    Here’s hoping I eat more and get a wee rush on the scales 🤞🏻 x
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Correction. It’s 5 miles doing the school run Monday to Friday. X