Too slow for a "big girl"

Options
I decided in the new year to sort my weight out once and for all.
My SW was 240 and I'm 5'7. GW is 150. I put my stats into MFP with a 2lb a week loss and lightly active. I got 1500 calories. I've been trying to make sensible food choices with the odd treat. After reading some of the posts on here I've purchased a food scale and log everything accurately.
I'm not body confident enough for the gym but have been walking more and using an exercise bike at home. I eat back half the calories in case I'm over estimating.
I'm currently 228 and starting to see small changes.
My issue is that family and friends say I must be doing something wrong as weight "should be dropping off a big girl like you".
I'm in no great rush and recognise that the changes I make need to be forever this time. Should I smile sweetly and ignore them or do they have a point?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ignore them.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The average person can only metabolize about 1% body fat a week...and you are looking to lose fat, not muscle and such, so it sounds like you are doing everything healthy and perfectly sustainable!!!! Keep up the awesome work and ignore anyone who says otherwise!!!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You are doing great! Most physicians would agree that 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy rate of loss. I get a lot of crazy advice. The only time I received more "suggestions" on how to do something was when I was pregnant. Trust the MFP community they will help you keep your goals realistic and will shoot down the myths.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Should I smile sweetly and ignore them?

heck yeah, you are doing fine.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately when it comes to weight loss, some people think it's okay to voice their opinions about others' bodies. Those opinions are sometimes hurtful, harmful, or just plain wrong. In your case, your friends and family are wrong. Whenever weight "drops off" at a faster pace than 2 pounds per week, it is because a) it's water weight, b) the person has a very large amount to lose and is on a doctor-supervised rapid weight loss plan, c) the person has a health problem that causes rapid weight loss, or d) the person is creating an unhealthy calorie deficit. You're losing at a reasonable pace and you sound like you're following a good plan.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    You can smile sweetly and ignore them, or you can tell them that their comments are not supportive or helpful. You appreciate their concern, but you'd rather they not make unsupportive or positive comments on your efforts and results.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ignore them. If you read the forums here, over time you’ll see a steady stream of people who chose a deficit that was too large, so they couldn’t stick with it. They go straight for the 1200 calorie fast lane and crash in a few weeks.

Pick a deficit/rate that you can live with for the foreseeable future. Slow and steady wins this particular race.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is working. Just flat out ignore those other voices. Keep treking along, you are doing fantastic! Congratulations on all your success so far!