Working out post surgery

Options
I just had shoulder surgery. My labrum was repaired after I tore it bench pressing. I am a competitive bodybuilder. I have been out of the gym since the holidays. My surgery was January 2nd. I'm dying to start doing something in the gym. I haven't gotten any clearance from my ortho to step foot in the gym much less take my sling off. Right now I'm taking long walks weather permitting. Has anyone gone through shoulder surgery and if so what did you do to stay active until you were allowed to get back in the gym, besides long boring walks. I'm steadily losing muscle. I know competing this year is not in the cards.

Replies

• nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just had a different surgery in January and thought I was well enough to start up again and pushed myself back. Please don't be stubborn like me and possibly meet a physical therapist and obtain clearance from a Dr. .
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Isn't there lower body things you could do? Its unfortunate that most all upper body training uses the shoulders as it primary axis.
    Maybe start googling weight training routines after shoulder surgery so you can be ready by the time the Dr okays your return.
    Yes you will lose strength and muscle bulk.....but don't focus on what you cant do but what you CAN!
    Understanding mechanics for you after surgery is primary. Buy a book regarding this point in time in regards to shoulder injury.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery that required me to stay off my knee completely for 12 weeks.
    Drove me nuts.
    I just went to the gym and hobbled on my crutches to upper body machine after upper body machine.
    I didn't take any chances. I listened to the doctor and the PT and did everything they told me, which I think is wise. (Ha! First time I ever did that.)
    One thing I was told about my surgery was that the techniques of knee surgery are so good today that you really don't need much rehab. You heal and then you go back to what you were doing.
    That means that I was restricted by the medical people while I was healing.
    I suspect the same is true for you. If they are restricting you it is because movement/exercise might interfere with healing.
    Be patient.
    Good luck.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I had knee surgery that required me to stay off my knee completely for 12 weeks.
    Drove me nuts.
    I just went to the gym and hobbled on my crutches to upper body machine after upper body machine.
    I didn't take any chances. I listened to the doctor and the PT and did everything they told me, which I think is wise. (Ha! First time I ever did that.)
    One thing I was told about my surgery was that the techniques of knee surgery are so good today that you really don't need much rehab. You heal and then you go back to what you were doing.
    I suspect the same is true for you. If they are restricting you it is because movement/exercise might interfere with healing.
    Be patient.
    Good luck.

I just want to point out that what I bolded is likely unique to your surgery. There's a pretty vast array of different knee surgeries out there. I've seen more than a few people in PT after various knee surgeries and I personally have had well over a year of PT for my last two knee surgeries alone (I had really good insurance benefits that covered it).

Yes my knee surgeries have all been very major, but even the ligament repair part of my most recent surgeries involves a fair amount of rehabilitation.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am not an advanced lifter, but did have a torn rotator cuff (full tear) surgery 2 years ago. Once the doctor cleared me (6 weeks) he and my physical therapist gave me the go ahead for body weight squats using a wall for stability, walking and absolutely nothing else for 6 more weeks. Then came the light weights (2-5lbs) for a couple more weeks, and so on.

I hated it, but the way he put it was this. If I re-injure that shoulder, second time surgeries do not have a good success rate and I stand a chance of damaging that repair beyond any good chance at all.

Now, he is also a fitness nut, so he understood my impatience very well. I chose to just do exactly what he said for as long as he said. The pay off was worth it. Getting back up to par wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

So...I wish you a speedy recovery and massive gains after you've healed.

...For what it's worth. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    Drove me nuts.
    Be patient.
    Good luck.

I just want to point out that what I bolded is likely unique to your surgery. There's a pretty vast array of different knee surgeries out there. I've seen more than a few people in PT after various knee surgeries and I personally have had well over a year of PT for my last two knee surgeries alone (I had really good insurance benefits that covered it).

Yes my knee surgeries have all been very major, but even the ligament repair part of my most recent surgeries involves a fair amount of rehabilitation.

Sorry to argue. Don't want to derail this discussion.
    I am sure that more extensive rehab can be helpful and, undoubtedly, was for you.
    But my surgery was an ACL repair, a trim of a meniscus tear and an OATS procedure to fix torn cartilage.
    I went and had my surgery at the sports medicine practice at a major US teaching hospital, a practice that had the contract for our professional sports teams.
    I saw the PT at the practice three -- maybe four -- times after my surgery. He never gave me anything more extensive than simple mobility exercises. At some point I was allowed on an exercise bike but not a road bike for fear of crashes. Then he told me to skip for a couple of days before I spent any time running.
    That was it.
    The guy who reassured me that the amount of rehab I was getting was adequate is a certified athletic trainer with much local renown -- all the serious runners in our area go to see him.
    Sorry for the digression, all.
    I'm out.
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not shoulder surgery, but recovering from hip labrum surgery. Not answering your question, but can feel your pain ☹️
  • cboothe83
    cboothe83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    While you're in the sling, there is nothing that can be done as far as shoulder strengthening. Maintaining cardiovascular health by walking or a stationary bike is important as cardio health improves healing. Shoulder mobility once the sling is discontinued should be performed by a PT. The PT and surgeon should decide when strengthening can resume. Be patient as frustrating as that might be for someone motivated and ambitious.