Keto

Options
I plan on starting a 3 day fast tomorrow. Will that help my body become fully fat adapted faster or should I fast a bit longer I can go about a week long if needed. Then the next question I have is that if I do workout and if I am fat adapted will I be using fat for energy during my workouts or will I be using carbs still? I have done plenty of research but I have not been able to find answers to these two questions. Please help and thank you. Also can I drink Diet Coke whole in keto or do you think it will hold back the fat loss?

Replies

• tbow0023
    tbow0023 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That’s why I chose keto in all honesty I tend to binge when it comes to carbs
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    dont worry about ketosis, if you want to do keto just start keto and if you want to fast just skip breakfast and eat in an 8 hour window. fasting 3 days will be tough on you and is not necessary. Later on when you become more fat adapted(it takes a while like months later you could venture on to longer fasts. There is no advantage for being in ketosis right away by the way.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for 3 months now and have lost 40lbs. I have not fasted (well I guess I technically fast for 18 hours every day because I don't eat breakfast) and I drink at least one diet soda a day.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tbow0023 wrote: »
    That’s why I chose keto in all honesty I tend to binge when it comes to carbs

In all honesty, undereating is a surefire way to set yourself up for a binge. While some people can fast (especially for religious purposes) and transition smoothly back to normal eating, many people who have a tendency to binge find themselves stuck in a nasty restrict/ binge cycle they can't get out of.

Whether or not you will lose weight will depend on your calorie deficit, so why not just start logging, with your macros set for keto, and start hitting your deficit?
  • mangofish44
    mangofish44 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are you going from no dieting at all to attempting a 3 day fast? There’s zero chance you will be able to make it.

Work your way into it, Keto isn’t a magic bullet that’s going to make your weight melt off.

Start with 3 meals a day no snacking in between to work Into keto / IF. You lose craving for carbs and find yourself less hungry as you eat less. Going straight to 3 day fast is setting yourself for failure.
  • alir
    alir Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why a 3day fast? Do you want to drop weight quickly? I agree you’re just setting yourself up for failure.

Why not just start with Keto +/- IF?

I’ve been Keto for 7 weeks now and finding it a remarkably easy way to stay in calorie goals, plus have lost 7kg in the process, with no fasting involved.

As I understand it, extended fasting is an adjunct once you’re well into a ketogenic diet, and you’d need to be drinking things like bone broth/stock not coke with its subsequent insulin spikes.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary. Restrict your carbs, eat low/no carb foods to satiety and give it a few weeks and see how you make out. Most respond by spontaneously reducing their calories - no fasting required.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A fast will put you into ketosis faster, and possibly slightly deeper ketosis. So will eating exogenous ketones, mct oil and coconut oil. Exercise will also get you into ketosis faster.

You don't need ketones for weight loss though. The key is a calorie deficit. A ketogenic diet is thought to help because of the satiating effects often experienced while on the diet, so some of us lose more effortlessly while using that woe.

Fat adaption will not occur any faster if you get into ketosis faster. Fat adaption tends to take a few weeks to a few months, and just is the point where the body get quite good at using fats as its primary fuel, VO2 max may have risen, glycogen stores are normal, and uric acid levels are normal (it tends to rise at first). I noticed a cognitive improvement around that time too, although that is just my n=1.

Good luck.