Women and Men - Platonic Relationships in GYM

derekes1
derekes1 Posts: 6 Member
Hey everyone, new to the community so forgive me if someone had posted this thread before.

Anyways, I was exercising minding my own business yesterday and a girl my age approached me (guys know this NEVER happens) - but I didn’t see it coming because she approached me from behind to tap my shoulder. Full disclosure, I have a lovely wife. Anyways, she wanted to get some advice on abb work and a bunch press spot - which I thought was totally awesome listening to a young lady interested in something other than her *kitten*. Moral of the story, I’ve heard from many many women that if you’re single that you should never approach a girl in the gym. First of all, I think she approached me because I had my wedding ring on and second my bench press game is cray... jk.

I was curious of people’s general opinion of gym edicate, guy and girl perspective? I thought it was awesome to have now a new gym friend that’s completely platonic, and I feel like if a guy goes up to a girl just to be friends, she seems to think you’re hitting on them. Or, if a married man talks to a girl I would appear to look like a scumbag.

If you’re like me I see 80% of the same people at the gym (guys and girls) it’s fun to connect behind my phone, but really cool just to say hi to these people that are likeminded and seeking to better themselves.

Hope you all have a great day :)

Replies

• Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Funny, I made it a goal this year to say hi and get the name of people I see at the gym all the time. Not to be overly chit chatty but just a simple acknowledgement that we are in this thing together. I'm very shy so this is a huge step for me. So far all my attempts have been well received :)
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    She probably identified you as someone who seem to know what they're doing and wanted some help. I don't go to a gym but I do this when the activities I do. You can learn from anyone. I think it's silly to enforce a rule that men can't speak to women and vice versa. We're all just people
  • derekes1
    That’s a really great goal, I think I might do that as well!
    Amwa77 wrote: »
    Funny, I made it a goal this year to say hi and get the name of people I see at the gym all the time. Not to be overly chit chatty but just a simple acknowledgement that we are in this thing together. I'm very shy so this is a huge step for me. So far all my attempts have been well received :)

• derekes1
    edited February 2019
    Agreed, that’s good insight. I don’t necessarily feel like I know what I’m doing but very well could be a possibility lol. How come you don’t hit the gym!?
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    She probably identified you as someone who seem to know what they're doing and wanted some help. I don't go to a gym but I do this when the activities I do. You can learn from anyone. I think it's silly to enforce a rule that men can't speak to women and vice versa. We're all just people

• AliNouveau
    not a fan of it. I have a very short attention span and get bored way too quickly. I do workout videos and I do activities that I enjoy for fitness. :) In the summer I run so I can enjoy the outdoors
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I don't think you look like a scumbag if you keep it platonic. More than likely she just wants a gym buddy. I have many platonic male friends, both now and when I was married, and it was never a problem.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    gender is irrelevant unless romance is the intent...and even then *shrug*

she probably thought you looked like you knew what you were doing and was approachable
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I think as long as everyone is keeping it appropriate and nobody is doing or saying anything that makes another uncomfortable, then it's all good. I work out at a martial arts gym, so it's a class based environment, training with the same people every day and we also have events/social gatherings outside the gym. It's all very familial. It is normal for the men and women to be friends with each other. As long as nobody is making unwanted advances (not only romantic, but any sort of interaction that would make someone uncomfortable) towards someone else in the gym, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm married, but I don't think there's anything wrong with me having single female gym friends. My wife very naturally comes up in like every 3rd conversation I have anyways.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I was hoping for a discussion on if an abstract non-causal form exists that dictates the best symmetry and proportions of muscles.
  • AliNouveau
    I was hoping for a discussion on if an abstract non-causal form exists that dictates the best symmetry and proportions of muscles.

Perhaps you should start your own thread for that. I bet the debaters in the debate forum would enjoy it