HRM Recommendations

Options
I'm in the market for an HRM with a chest strap. I'm torn between the Polar FT4 or the New Balance NB4, but am open to other suggestions (would rather not spend over $100). Thoughts?

Replies

• HisBeloved65
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 (I believe) and I got it for $55 on Amazon. I love love love it. It is changing my life!
  • lwoodtri
    lwoodtri Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Its hard to beat a Polar, I have used them for the past 8 years . . had one Timex but went back to the Polar!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar FT4 and LOVE it. I refuse to exercise without. The chest strap is small enough so it doesn't get in the way and the watch is pretty comfortable. I actually wear the watch part everyday just to remind myself daily of the journey that I'm on and it's motivation to get in an exercise every day.
  • GirlRural
    Options
    I'm looking to get a new one as well. The Polar can't really be beat!
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Depends how much you want to monitor I have a Timex £59.00 gives time excercised time in the zone and calories burnt works for me and all I need to know.
  • Hyster1
    Hyster1 Posts: 75
    Options
    I would like help with this one also. But I have lets say a different situation. I have had a Dbl. MX so I'm not sure about a chest strap, Just seems like to many things to put on and off it that area. If Ya know what i mean!!! So does anyone recommend the wrist ones???? If so which one would be the best. Sorry if this was a little to personal. But it is what it is.:wink:
  • silverbullkitty
    Options
    This is the one I have. I LOVE MINE! Here's the link: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/bowflex-f30-hrm.html
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would like help with this one also. But I have lets say a different situation. I have had a Dbl. MX so I'm not sure about a chest strap, Just seems like to many things to put on and off it that area. If Ya know what i mean!!! So does anyone recommend the wrist ones???? If so which one would be the best. Sorry if this was a little to personal. But it is what it is.:wink:

I had a New Balance wrist only HRM and it was very frustrating. While I was jogging I would press my fingers against the watch so it would take my heart rate and it couldn't while I was in motion. I would have to stop and press my fingers down and sometimes would still need to do it a couple of times. At that point I new my heart rate had slowed down and I wasn't getting a true measurement of cals burned or % of time in my zone. I'm moving to the chest strap model so it will track my rate without my having to mess with pressing buttons while exercising.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

If you want an accurate calorie estimation, the wrist only ones will not work. It is best to get on that has both a chest strap and a watch.. honestly, if you ever wore a bra, the chest strap won't be that big of a deal.

To OP: Polar really is the best brand around. The FT4 is a wonderful HRM, and you won't go wrong by purchasing it. Other brands like Timex tend to give inflated calorie burns, so I'd stay away from them.
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to go for the Polar FT4 :o)