Treadmill

Options
Think our treadmill is busted. Loud hmmm and goes very slow. Will speed up but it smells. Belts are fine. Think it’s the motor.
Looking for suggestions on a new one that won’t break the bank.

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I really think with treadmills you're going to want to spend for quality and durability. The ones I see under $500 seem flimsy and can't imagine they ride well. Go to a Dick's or similar and try some out to get an idea of the quality to price that's out there.
  • tusshay
    tusshay Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    We have had 2 in the past 2 years (we flooded and lost the 1st one) now the 2nd craped our on us. We spend about $700 on them but the warranties suck because we keep it in the garage now they say it’s not covered. Think it’s the motor and that’s pricey to fix or replace. I’m thinking just get a new one. The hubs won’t let me move it in the house and call to have them honor the warranty (I agree it’s shady but they never told us not to keep it in the garage until now).
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Aren't there people who repair treadmills? Surely it would be more economical to have the old one repaired?

The cost of the replacement motor can be pretty steep, especially relative to the cost of a consumer grade treadmill. There may be aftermarket options, but it's tricky to find the right replacement motor if you don't get it from the OEM. A lot of the consumer lines are still on DC motors, it sounds like the brushes probably wore out on the OPs.

I've never heard about keeping the treadmill in the garage voiding the warranty, maybe there's some other related circumstance. The warranties on consumer fitness products are pretty short, and won't cover brush wear on the motor.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    I should clarify, the warranty on a consumer treadmill will often say "lifetime" but only for the frame and non-wear components. The wear items like the belt or a DC motor would have clauses limiting the coverage.
  • tusshay
    Options
    Not sure where my reply went?! Agreed it would be spendy. Now I have to find a good one without breaking the bank. We have had Proform for as long as I can remember. They used to be great with the warranty up until now with their no coverage for treadmills in the garage comment. I might actually call them and see if I get a different answer from a different representative.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    tusshay wrote: »
    Not sure where my reply went?! Agreed it would be spendy. Now I have to find a good one without breaking the bank. We have had Proform for as long as I can remember. They used to be great with the warranty up until now with their no coverage for treadmills in the garage comment. I might actually call them and see if I get a different answer from a different representative.

You should find the warranty document that came with it, and find out what it actually says. Don't take the company's word for it on the phone. Sometimes you can download it from the website if you know the exact model number.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I got a golds gym one from Walmart, about$400 and it seems fine. I do keep it I a room inside though.
  • tusshay
    Options
    Good call BPETrosky ! I will hunt that thing down today.
    DancingMoosie. I was looking at a golds gym treadmill they seem nice!
    There are 3 of us using it and 2:3 use it daily. We need a good one.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to look at TMs for home use. With a budget under $1,000 I know I won't get a gym-quality one. Not sure where to shop - big box athletic store like Academy or Dick's, or, local fitness equipment specialty store. Thoughts on that?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I also made sure to get the surge protector for it, as recommended. My 200+lb husband has walked on it, I have walked with incline as well as run. No problems so far.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    FYI, most of the consumer treadmill brands are now made by a single company, ICON fitness. That includes the NordicTrak and Gold's gym brands.

https://www.iconfitness.com/#/our-brands
  • alphabull
    alphabull Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Just my 2 cents...

I researched treadmills for 3 weeks when mine went out after 12 years of almost daily use. I looked into the high priced Proforms, Gold's Gym and NordicTracks, they all have serious issues after abut a year. Most just can't take the daily or almost daily use, then the control boards go out so often and take weeks to get a new one in (read the reviews from reputable sites). I finally settled on a Precor. I know, its expensive, but I got it on 24 month interest free loan (at about a $100 a month). I love it, there are no bells and whistles, but it just works and has a great warranty. I would suggest going to an actual fitness equipment specialty center/showroom where you can try them out before buying. The fitness center I bought mine at, is also who is contracted to do the warranty work by Precor (for an extra $100, they delivered and assembled the TM). The salesman showed me around the workshop and there were lots and lots of NordicTrack and Proforms waiting to be worked on, but only one Precor needing work. That's what convinced me to buy. Yes, its expensive, but it will last me for many many years with little to no issues and hopefully will be the last one I ever buy.
  • tusshay
    Options
    Called a few companies (bowflex, Solee) they both said as long as the garage it’s kept in is climate controlled the warranty is good for 1-5years. Proform is the same way and it is in the written warranty 🥴 poopski!