What Habits have you changed to help you lose weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    habits
    eating at a deficit by weighing my food using mfp to tell me what calorie allotment fit my needs
    logging honestly
    weighing myself daily for data trends
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In my thought processes to lose weight and improve my health, I've realized that I've never really been hungry even though I'm overweight. The reason that came to me is that I have always included planned snacks into my meal plan but that which is helpful to others, only kept me from having time between meals to become hungry again for the next meal.

I no longer plan or have between meal snacks. Three meals and that's it for me. Because the calories from my planned snacks are now included into my three meals, they are heavier and more filling. That has made it easier to not have between meal snacks. Three meals and no snacks. That's it. No excusses. It's that simple.

When I first started this, it was hard to skip the snacks, so I would tell myself that if I could wait half an hour, I could have a bite of something. That half hour would come and I found myself able to wait another half hour. Before I knew it, it was close enough to the next planned meal, that I would just be able to wait until then. That made the no snacking rule a lot easier for me. I stopped thinking about it and just thought, no excusses, I never needed snacks before without realizing it. It works for me.

May all your journeys be a success!

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    The only 'habit' I changed was how much attention I paid to the amount of food I ate.

As in previously I paid no attention to how much I ate and just ate completely mindlessly and with no control. Now I'm in the habit of paying attention. That's pretty much it.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    jean133mjg wrote: »
    In my thought processes to lose weight and improve my health, I've realized that I've never really been hungry even though I'm overweight. The reason that came to me is that I have always included planned snacks into my meal plan but that which is helpful to others, only kept me from having time between meals to become hungry again for the next meal.

I no longer plan or have between meal snacks. Three meals and that's it for me. Because the calories from my planned snacks are now included into my three meals, they are heavier and more filling. That has made it easier to not have between meal snacks. Three meals and no snacks. That's it. No excusses. It's that simple.

When I first started this, it was hard to skip the snacks, so I would tell myself that if I could wait half an hour, I could have a bite of something. That half hour would come and I found myself able to wait another half hour. Before I knew it, it was close enough to the next planned meal, that I would just be able to wait until then. That made the no snacking rule a lot easier for me. I stopped thinking about it and just thought, no excusses, I never needed snacks before without realizing it. It works for me.

May all your journeys be a success!

its so interesting you say this because before becoming over weight I never snacked either. I didn't eat breakfast either. Just lunch and dinner (effectively intermitent fasting) I was fine, had plenty of energy. I didn't start stacking because I had a really fit person tell me I needed to. The thing is that was inappropriate for my size and muscle mass.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My habits include:

Logging all my food, even if it's an estimate because I ate out or someone else made it.

Weighing myself daily. This reminds me the first thing every morning that losing weight is one of my priorities.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds 2 years ago, and gained it back because i had stopped logging. So Just honestly logging my food is really the #1 habit that i needed to reinforce. Now that i'm tracking again, i'm losing - its pitiful how easy it's been.

Other than that, knowing my eating/snacking tendencies has helped too. I've noticed that if i skip breakfast, i'll end up having "little nibbles" that add up to way more than my breakfast would have been. If i have breakfast, i'm fine till lunch most days. I've also noticed that i ALWAYS want a sweet treat after dinner - so i make sure that i have the calories available for that too.

Now the only times i feel hungry/dissatisfied is when because of my work schedule i can't get to my lunch or dinner on time. The rest of the time i'm not usually hungry, and if i am i borrow some dessert calories for a small snack. Even if i do that - i almost always have room for SOMETHING sweet.

BTW - Kroger mini drumsticks are 130 calories each and MAN they're satisfying!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I dropped most carbs, especially refined and sugary carbs, and my appetite dropped to the point where I can do not need to calorie count - I just eat when hungry. It's worked for 40 lbs of weight loss and maintenance. YMMV.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Listening to the Podcast Losing 100 Pounds with Phit N Phat (even though I don't have much to lose) has really motivated me. Drinking lots of water (probably always walked around dehydrated), now I don't have the need for Pepsi like I used to think. Creating weekly meal plan,and at minimum a 24-hour plan and sticking to it. A little meal prep helps too.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Tbh, all of that sounds like a whole lot more work that just counting calories? Why make it that hard and complicated if it's not necessary?

Its a whole lot of work, to you. Counting calories isn’t for everyone believe it or not. :)
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    sorting out my portion distortion ... by getting into the habit of weighing out all my food at home I can now identify when I am out if the portion size is excessive. I could easily eat too much tasty food before, now I can easily leave some
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    love this post! setting boundaries with myself. saying No when I have had enough and go do something healthy.
  • mammacoty
    mammacoty Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Here are the habits I'm focusing on:

~weighing and logging all food. Advance prepping and planning is key, so I am devoting more time to this. I am also cutting out bread and starchy carbs. I am paying attention to my macros, and also working to increase my fiber and protein intake.
    ~ actively drinking water all day long. Besides a little almond milk, it's the only thing I drink now. I need to do it more!
    ~Strength training. If I want to watch one of my shows, I'm doing various movements with my set of kettlebells, or use my resistance band machine. This is especially important since i have re-injured my ankle, after fracturing my foot and badly spraining my ankle just 4 months ago, and can't do much for cardio.
    ~ Using my fitbit app to reach a few daily goals, like making sure I'm logging 10,000 steps, I do at least 10 flights of stairs and have at least 30 minutes that qualify as "active"
    ~ I too am working on decluttering my house. So far it's been a little scattered, but today I realized that my kitchen is "fat" It's full of stuff, and very cluttered looking. So I am focusing there, and then will work my way through the house, in a more productive way. I have a hard time getting rid of things that could be useful, so this will be a little bit of a challenge.
    ~Getting off Facebook. I waste too much time looking at things that invoke negativity. I just uninstalled the app from my phone to greatly reduce my time scrolling. If I am taking a little break and looking at my phone, it will be health related.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Packed and prepped cooler for food during the day for work
    Buy fresh produce every 4-5 days a week
    Started exercising again
  • no1elseislikeme
    no1elseislikeme Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My big two were counting calories and paying attention to portion sizes. I used to have a fairly big bowl of ice cream everyday and I would never bother measuring it out. Now I still have my bowl, but I have cut way back on how much I have and I carefully measure out my portion and track it. I was never fat and looking back, I consider it something of a miracle that I didn’t get fat eating ice cream like I was. I diligently log every food that goes down my throat and I know that’s a big part of why I’ve been successful in keeping the weight off.