Bike question

Options
Right now I have an old bike that I just ride for leisure and it sucks. I want to train for El Tour de Tucson, but I also want to be able to trail ride. Any recommendations for a bike that I could use for both? I also don't want to spend too much, and I'm open to purchasing a used bike if it's in good condition. TIA.

Replies

• lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Hybrid mtb.. make sure it's fitted. bikes have to be proper size to fit you per your height. Visit your local pro bike shops.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. quick Google.. all bikes on that tour are road bikes.. also noticed they go on dirt road/trail.. must be an all terrain's tires on them.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Hmm.. quick Google.. all bikes on that tour are road bikes.. also noticed they go on dirt road/trail.. must be an all terrain's tires on them.

I did not know that, I will research more. Thanks.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hybrid mtb.. make sure it's fitted. bikes have to be proper size to fit you per your height. Visit your local pro bike shops.

Good idea.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

They're probably cross (cyclocross) bikes or gravel bikes depending on how large the off road sections are. OP, I would go to your local bike shop of choice and talk to them about it.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,866 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Honestly, buy used. Alloy frame roadie or CX bike, shimano 105 or tiagra. Take it for a test before buying it. Look for rust and check the cranks and cassette for wear. Check the tension of the chain with a tool and ask for proof of purchase. Consider disc brakes for off road riding.

I
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Gravel or adventure bike. Go to your local shop, they'll have lots of options, and know much more about what people use on the race.

They should know she used options too
  • karenvandam
    karenvandam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did the 50 mile route for El Tour de Tucson 2018. It was paved and most people had road bikes, although there were quite a few hybrids especially on the shorter routes. I think there are some short portions of the 100 mile route that are unpaved, but it sounded like it was minimal.

If you live in Tucson, there are lots of great paved bike paths, so I'd be inclined to buy a road bike. As everyone else said, your local bike shop will be really helpful for helping you select the right bike for your area and interests. And if you live in Tucson, you might want to try Roadrunner bike shops. I don't live in Tucson, but I rented a bike there for the Tour and they were great to work with. You might consider renting a bike before you buy one.