My horse and my HRM

Options
So in the beginning I wanted a HRM because I am a dressage rider and I knew that the database "horseback riding---trotting" really did not fit what I do. So I have been using my HRM for over a year and it sems close enough so I'm getting results.
Yesterday was a bit windly and there was a very dangerouse killer piece of paper by the ring, a nearly got bounced off.
My session yesterday was well over 700 cals instead of the normal 400. I logged 400 but I had to laugh at how my heartrate would race after the incident whenever she spooked. Just goes to show maybe I'm not as calm as I thought I was.
So I wonder how many calories I would burn giving an important speach in front of a bunch of people. Perhaps I could log it as fear factor.

Replies

• PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    hahahaha That's awesome :) I often wonder how much extra I burn on stressed days (like when my 3 kids (ages 4, 2, and 1) are being insane) but I never thought to wear my HRM. I think the next time I try to go try on clothes with all 3 boys I'll wear it to see :P
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    *like :D
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I just got back from riding, we had a calm, uneventful ride. I was chit-chatting, so did a lot of walking. I still burned nearly 400 calories, per my BodyBugg. When there are monsters to run away from, or if we're doing some specific training, I burn way more. I've burned over 1000 calories in a single ride before!

Whoever thinks riding isn't good exercise because "you just sit there" is dead wrong!

And I totally understand the killer piece of paper. We had issues with a ghost monster bag the other day :)
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    when in doubt, overestimate your consuption and underestimate your exercise.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options

And I totally understand the killer piece of paper. We had issues with a ghost monster bag the other day :)

My last horse died several years ago, but he used to hate mail boxes! Passing one required a great deal of kicking on my part and whirling in circles on his! Just went riding again on Saturday for the first time in years. It was wonderful.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've had similar experiences when I swim - I'm so out of shape for swimming that there are always some moments of unexpected near drownings! I mean I'm totally safe but I'll get a nose full of water or some other disquieting event will take place that makes my heart rate jump way up there!

I love the idea of wearing one during a dressage ride - it really would give you insight as to how 'calm' you are! Now if only we had one for the horse too!!!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    janetpratt--so sorry for the loss of your horse. Both my husband and I have lost horses and know it is hard.

So much fun to hear from other riders. I know that fall is coming and flocks migrating birds (and geese) are very exciting.
    Anyone else have trouble explaining that ponies are just little horses and nothing to be afraid of.

My first experience with a HRM for conditioning was for horses when we thought that competitive trail would be fun. Horse HRM were all the rage.