How to get up early to exercise

Options
I want to wake up at 5 am and hit treadmill for walk but I just never feel motivated. What are the benefits of getting up early to exercise. How can I get motivated

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    That's why I exercise after work.
  • DFTNicki
    DFTNicki Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 am just to shower. I just had to tell myself, I'm doing this. You need this. Just think of how great your day will start off when your workout is already done!
  • striving4moretoday
    Options
    its discipline not happiness that gets me to the gym first thing in am for my morning power walk/work out. the benefit - its done and I don't ever have to think about it throughout my day.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »
    I wake up at 5am so I can lift and do cardio before work. It took some time getting used to the early am sessions. Go to bed early, and have a consistent bed time. I go to bed no later than 9:30. I’ve been going in the morning for about 6 years now. I don’t have the energy or motivation after work.

this
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do this at 5am? Isn’t that your motivation?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    firstly, you don't have to do it in the morning if you have another time that you can commit to consistently
    secondly, commitment and habit. i would often where my running clothes to bed so all i had to do was put on my shoes. my dogs also got in the habit. sometimes, i would literally roll out of bed. literally.
    once i got the hang of it though, it wasn't bad. just part of my daily routine
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There are no benefits if you hate it. I don't mind getting up early and I tried 6 am swimming but I was always so hungry (I wasn't going to get up at 4:30 so I could eat), I hated it, whereas I look forward to my afternoon swim. The truth is, most people are at their lowest energy first thing in the morning and there is no special benefit from a physiological point of view. I'd rather go to work early, exercise some other time and actually enjoy it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I always think that some people are at their best in the morning, and some late in the day. I have always been a morning person. I'm at my best early and can get a million things done. In the evening I'm dragging my tail. My husband is just the opposite--of course. So, know yourself and work in your exercise when you're at your most active. Exercise has to fit into your lifestyle if you want to keep it up longterm.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Eagles8080 wrote: »
    I want to wake up at 5 am and hit treadmill for walk (But there is your motivation. YOU WANT TO DO IT) but I just never feel motivated. (Then I guess you don't really want to do it) What are the benefits of getting up early to exercise. (You get your exercise out of the way for the rest of the day)How can I get motivated (Why do you have to get "motivated" to do something you want to do?)

• corriepelc
    corriepelc Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    For about the past three years, I've consistently gotten up every weekday morning at 5am to get in my workout before work. I run 3 miles on the treadmill three days a week and the other two I strength train.

At first it was really hard, but I treated it like a doctor's appointment -- it's not something I could just blow off or skip. I set an alarm with no snooze option and I scheduled every workout on my calendar. The first week was hard, but now my body just normally gets up at 5am.

And I find on those rare occasions I do skip my 5am workout, I have less energy, I don't make the best food choices, and I just feel ...blah. For me, it helped me take off 60 pounds and keep it off. I also like that it gives me some "me time" before I have to go to work and just do normal life stuff. And I personally feel it gets my metabolism going, which helped me lose weight and keep it off.

If you really want to start working out at 5am, I urge you to do it and stick with it for at least two weeks before you decide if it's not for you or not. That's how long it took me to create the habit, and once formed, it's just part of my everyday routine now.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Loaded question. It completely depends on your situation what motivates you or not to get up early. Some mornings I simply need more sleep. Some mornings I'm rearing to go early. I try to get up a little before 5:30 and go running in my neighborhood before my hubby and babies wake. My motivation is not only to keep my same size jeans but it is the only time of day that is "me" time. I get to run, clear my head, and push myself forward in ways that I don't do any other time of day.
    I don't think waking up early is any different than working out after work. You either do it or you don't. No one can motivate you but you. You've just got to hone in on the one reason it is beneficial to you and go with it.
    It personally makes me feel good to know it is done and I can continue with my day as planned and my calories are already burned and still burning.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I change my workout times around based on whatever happens to be going on in my life and also based on the gym's group exercise schedule.
    When I'm doing morning workouts I find it helps to go to sleep in clothes that are appropriate to exercise in and I also put my phone/alarm in a spot that requires me getting up out of bed to turn off the alarm. For me, getting up out of bed is half the battle. I'm also finding morning workouts a little easier right now since DH's work schedule changed so that he gets up early too. Not seeing someone else sleeping and cozy makes it easier for me to get up. I do find I am in a better mood and get more done on days that I workout early.
    That said, if working out in the afternoon or late at night is convenient for you and more likely that you'll do it, then that's fine too.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I always ask myself if any behavior is sustainable. For me, I refuse to get up early EVERY day to work out. I will however get up extra early SOME days. I know that my Tuesdays and Thursdays are days that life will interfere with after work exercise. So on those days I get up at 5:00 AM and go run in the dark. I can live with two days a week because fitness is important to me. I have rest days on Monday and Friday, so I only need to exercise after work on Wednesdays. I can do that... Weekends I exercise whenever it fits into my day.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Wake up, drink some coffee, work out, and then it's done! Yay! You'll feel soooo good once it's done. And think how good you'll feel each day, starting out with a feeling of accomplishment. You'll love yourself for it, even though every now and then it may feel like crap while doing it--but it gets better and you'll feel better, more stronger and amazing!
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    sometimes, i would literally roll out of bed. literally.
    once i got the hang of it though, it wasn't bad. just part of my daily routine

LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had to do this :D Motivation is a fickle thing therefore I don't rely on it. Its my persistence and determination that gets me going. Plus I look at it as me time, to work on achieving a better version of myself :)