how it's really going...

Options
:heart: Hello. I have some things to get off my chest here. Let me just say, before I started this program in June of 2008, I was a depressed person. I went out all night and partied, and partied HARD. It was not unusual for me to stay out all night on the weekends and sleep the entire next day. I was a mess. I had been going like this for about 5 years. The wear and tear on my body showed, I was out of shape even though I would try to go to the gym during the week and eat well. My demons would definitely come out on the weekends, sometimes I would call in sick if the urge struck me during the week. So since then, I can honestly say that I have had some stumbles along the way up to this point. I have made a lot of progress in the past few months. I am about 10 pounds away from my goal weight, it's not really about the weight anymore, but about how far physically I can push myself. But last night I had an opportunity to go out and have some "big fun." Instead, I stayed home. I had a six mile run to complete today as I am training for a half marathon in April.

I am also training for the Chicago Marathon in October in a couple months. The main reason why I want to run the marathon in October is to say farewell to the way I used to know Chicago. I went to college there and lived there for a total of about 8 years, mostly my 20s. I want to say farewell to all the bad memories I have and run by them and say thank you to myself for getting out of the rut. So many people are still living that lifestyle that I used to have, I want to run by their neighborhoods, run by the taverns, and just run by all of it and see my old home as a new place. One that doesn't remind me of all the bad stuff I used to do. After the marathon, I will remember the city as a place where people were cheering for me, the water stations, and not being one big hot mess.

So I ran my six miles this morning and thanked myself for not being in bed at noon, for not feeling like I can't move, and for not being such a pain in my own a**!! In a word, I am feeling proud. :heart:

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hello. I have some things to get off my chest here. Let me just say, before I started this program in June of 2008, I was a depressed person. I went out all night and partied, and partied HARD. It was not unusual for me to stay out all night on the weekends and sleep the entire next day. I was a mess. I had been going like this for about 5 years. The wear and tear on my body showed, I was out of shape even though I would try to go to the gym during the week and eat well. My demons would definitely come out on the weekends, sometimes I would call in sick if the urge struck me during the week. So since then, I can honestly say that I have had some stumbles along the way up to this point. I have made a lot of progress in the past few months. I am about 10 pounds away from my goal weight, it's not really about the weight anymore, but about how far physically I can push myself. But last night I had an opportunity to go out and have some "big fun." Instead, I stayed home. I had a six mile run to complete today as I am training for a half marathon in April.

I am also training for the Chicago Marathon in October in a couple months. The main reason why I want to run the marathon in October is to say farewell to the way I used to know Chicago. I went to college there and lived there for a total of about 8 years, mostly my 20s. I want to say farewell to all the bad memories I have and run by them and say thank you to myself for getting out of the rut. So many people are still living that lifestyle that I used to have, I want to run by their neighborhoods, run by the taverns, and just run by all of it and see my old home as a new place. One that doesn't remind me of all the bad stuff I used to do. After the marathon, I will remember the city as a place where people were cheering for me, the water stations, and not being one big hot mess.

So I ran my six miles this morning and thanked myself for not being in bed at noon, for not feeling like I can't move, and for not being such a pain in my own a**!! In a word, I am feeling proud. :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Good for you. And BETTER for you to see what you are accomplishing!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That's awesome!! Good luck with your training!
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Wow. That is really inspiring. I love that you are consciously creating new, better memories for yourself and not dwelling on negatives. THAT is super impressive (oh yeah, and getting healthy is pretty good too!) You must feel fantastic!! Congratulations.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job:drinker:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome!! Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • iclimbmountains
    Options
    I can relate to A LOT of what you said (even about living in Chicago! though I only did for two years) and I am so happy that you've made such a phenomenal and positive change in yourself. "Life is not about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself."

Keep it up, and good luck on the marathon!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    Such an awesome post. So great to hear how things have turned around for you. We all have our demons, but you should definitely feel proud that you are standing up to yours.

:flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful. You should be so proud of yourself and your decision. That is huge and keep this memory as more and more challenges come along. When you run in October, all of these moments will be playing through your head! Best of luck and keep us updated!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You SHOULD be feeling proud. SO MANY people get stuck and blame something or someone else for their situation instead of taking charge the way you have done. Bravo! :flowerforyou:
  • tigerlex158
    Options
    It's only been the first week and it's going well so far.:flowerforyou: I am able to keep track of my food intake and the little exersises I'm doing.:drinker:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

At some point in time most of us do grow up. I am happy that you did. I am happy that I did too. Once you start setting exercise/fitness goals for yourself it really is great that other things that once were important and unhealthy take a back seat. I love wine and found myself drinking it several times a week but once I got really serious about fitness I found that the morning after a bottle were very tough and rough, rough, rough on the exercise routine. Now I choose to wake up and feel good every morning. The last glass of wine I had was around Christmas and I don't miss it at all. I applaud you and your decision to kiss the old days goodbye and I think the idea of running passed all your old hangouts and what not is a great way to bring closure to that chapter of your life!!!!