Anyone on an antidepressant and still able to lose?

Options
I have been on lexapro for 4 years and although it’s done wonders for my anxiety disorder, I have also gained 40 pounds. Has anyone had success losing weight While STILL staying on their meds? I’m beginning to thinks it’s impossible

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don’t think the answers will be very different to the other thread you started at the same time.
    It is possible and no one is going to say stop taking the meds (I hope.)

Sometimes it’s more of a mindset than anything, have you talked to anyone IRL about what might be stopping you?
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on Fluoxetine for about a year and a half and did gain weight for most of that period. I have lost a lot of it recently though
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I saw your other thread too, but to respond post here....I have been taking Sertraline for 2.5 years now and have no problem losing weight while on it.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've been on 10 mg Lexapro for about a year now - and have been able to maintain at my goal weight with no problems.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Have been on SSRIs for decades and no issues from it. Lost, bulked, and maintained as planned.
  • themexicanbigfoot
    themexicanbigfoot Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am currently on 3 anti depressants and still losing. It's not impossible. Are you tracking properly? Weighing your food?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, i've lost weight on all ssris.
    except remeron. that made me eat all things. no food was safe. but it was brain hunger, not stomach hunger.
  • lynds1371
    lynds1371 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost around 70-80lbs whilst on citalopram. I did gain most of that back whilst on something for anxiety but I cant remember the name think it was that remeron (mirtazapine) as it sounds familiar, that was absolutely horrendous, never known hunger like it! As previous poster said all mental though.
    It can be done, definitely not impossible due to the meds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes I have been on multiple antidepressants and no weight gain. The only one that caused weight gain (Mirtazipine) increased my appetite a lot and I binged therefore I gained.
  • crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was on lexapro for over a year and have weaned off it with my dr's supervision. Since then, I have been able to lose weight at a rate of 1-2 lbs per week. While on Lexapro, I did lose but very slowly. But it was a wonderful drug for me. I had more energy and helped with my anxiety. I was also on paxil a couple of years back and lost weight on it. Go figure since it is almost guaranteed to gain weight on that one. However it made be extremely tired all day.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I am also on Lexapro, have been for 2 years. Originally, I did gain weight- went from 112 pounds but was an anxious, weepy wreck, to 125 but feel happy, well adjusted and healthy. To me it’s worth the weight gain! That said, I am in perimenopause and put on another 7 pounds within the last 9 months. So, can you lose weight on an antidepressant? Absolutely! My weight is now going down because I recently increased my activity and decreased my intake (logging both helps tremendously). Just went from 132 to 130. My next goal is 128, then 125 where I want to stay. It is possible! Just exercise and log your food.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs on Lexapro but it took 10 years. Nothing I did would keep the weight off and never before in my life had I had difficulty losing weight when I wanted to. At my wits end, I stopped taking Lex. Lo and behold, I immediately started losing weight. I went on Prozac instead. Been on the Prozac for about a year-- not dieting hard or anything but I've lost 20 lbs gradually. Five to go, then I'll see if I can, or want to, lose another 5. I sure hope the Prozac doesn't start making me gain because unfortunately I seem to need these drugs. :/
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight even though I have been on citalopram for a couple of years. using mfp has helped
  • cewarren7
    cewarren7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on 20mg of Lexapro for a while now and gained 50 pounds 😔I had lost a little but it took very long then I gained it all back.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I've been on antidepressants for years. They don't magically make you gain weight, they only occasionally increase your appetite. If you can control your food intake, there's no reason you have to gain weight while on them.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've been on Escitalopram (which is what your taking) for years, no issues with losing weight.

DO NOT stop taking the meds, I went cold turkey once and I was very, very unwell for weeks. My doctor gave me a huge telling off. Also set my recovery back.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight while on Paxil. I gained weight when Paxil, stopped working, because I didn't care. I'm on a 3 pill combo now. I am feeling much better and am losing weight. If my depression/anxiety is under control or not has more to do with my ability to lose weight than the medication.