Is too much salt for seasoning bad?

Options
I have been meal prepping for the past month like steak, chicken and salmon. I put butter and salt/pepper on them. I’ve lost 20 pounds this past month.

But is salt bad? Lol

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to avoid or eat a lower amount of salt, no it's not bad.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Cutting way back on salt to be nicer to my liver led to me dropping 4 pounds in a week. I know it's just water weight but it still felt good. :D
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    No, salt is not bad. However, in general, most people overconsume salt and sodium.

Depending on how much you consume, and if you don’t have a medical condition like elevated blood pressure for example, you may not need to cut back on your intake.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Salt itself is not bad, but it depends how much you are using and how much sodium you get from the food you eat. A certain amount of sodium is necessary for basic bodily functions. But too much can raise the risk of health conditions. So if you eat high sodium foods and really overdo it on the salt during cooking, you might want to cut back some. But hard to say without knowing more.
  • ladypioneer3
    ladypioneer3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cardiac nurse here. Too much salt will increase the volume in your blood which can increase blood pressure and strain your heart. That can later lead to chronic/congestive heart failure. Salt isn't the sole cause of CHF but it's one factor that you can control along with diet & exercise. Just be aware of how much you're using! A lot of prepackaged or cans food have a high salt content already
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Omg I LOVE salt, I season my food then as I eat it add more salt. I have normal to low blood pressure so figure it's fine.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Trucktofit wrote: »
    I have been meal prepping for the past month like steak, chicken and salmon. I put butter and salt/pepper on them. I’ve lost 20 pounds this past month.

But is salt bad? Lol

In general, no but it can be for some people. If you are asking this question it suggests you are concerned so why not experiment a little and reduce the amount of added salt. You might find you enjoy the flavor of your food better.

If you have not been told by your doctor to reduce salt I wouldn't worry too much. If you have seen your blood pressure rising a bit (even if it is in the ideal range), you might want to consider starting now before it becomes a problem.

The pepper you use, on the other hand, is essential to life itself. They will need to pry my peppermill from my cold dead hands.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Trucktofit wrote: »

But is salt bad? Lol

salt is an essential electrolyte. Excessive amounts of anything can be bad. I guess it would depend on how much sodium you're getting throughout the day and whether you have any medical reasons to be concerned with sodium.