pickles!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tangent836 wrote: »
    @cwolfman13 @janejellyroll @estherdragonbat @singingflutelady @Jruzer
    Sodium pills are processed ;)
    I realize that. It seems it's pretty difficult to completely avoid processed foods. I'm not chemist or dietitian, but it seems that the salt in sodium pills will not be as affected by processing, as whatever they put in cans of tomatoes. Just a hunch. Like I said, what is the OPTIMAL solution? I'm not asking for the ideal. :)

I can't imagine how sodium could be "affected" by processing and still be sodium. It's an element. Are you imagining it's going to become some radioactive isotope of sodium when it meets up with a little tomato?

No, but the processing will affect the tomato :)

Yes, it will. But does it necessarily follow that it is worse for you as a result?
  • tangent836
    tangent836 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @diannethegeek Thanks!
  • tangent836
    tangent836 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I made my diary public. You guys can probably see why I eat things like cheese and canned mushrooms to increase my sodium intake.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Some of the entries you are choosing are off, like the salmon one.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Now that your diary is open, I'd double-check some of your entries. Just at a glance, salmon should have sodium. Cabbage doesn't have much but it should have some. The database is full of little errors like this.

If it were me, I'd just used iodized table salt on my food. You're eating a lot of whole foods already (it look like that's what you're aiming for) and I don't see what harm salting your salad would do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Salt, soy sauce, fish sauce, or Bragg's aminos, which have 2,400 mg of sodium per 1/2 teaspoon. Probably cheaper at a store than at Amazon. Usually found with the soy sauce or natural foods section.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bragg-Natural-Liquid-Aminos-16oz/dp/B000QVDSUM/

81cZCe45B0L._SY679_.jpg

81GcR49i%2BfL._SY679_.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I use a variety of non-traditional salt, including this one, both fine and chunky, for my salt grinder. None of my salts are iodized, and if I'm not eating Thai food regularly I supplement with iodine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MER0RA/

Pp2kqemKSBiY._UX970_TTW__.JPG
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I tried the liquid aminos, and really didn't like it. Soy sauce and fish sauce, yes, please! In fact, mix the two together and with some lime and that's a favorite sauce or dressing for some salads.

I will again recommend merely cooking with a little salt, also. (And being careful to choose entries that contain the sodium amounts.)
  • Geri_Gets_Strong
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    melmoldy wrote: »
    I understand that an adult man has to consume at least 500 mg of Sodium a day and more if he exercises. Ever since I started dieting, I've realized that I am often not eating enough salt. What are the healthiest sources of salt? How do I make sure I eat enough of it? Is it a bad idea to simply add table salt to the food I'm eating?

THIS is hilarious!!! Dude, you really need to educate yourself on nutrition. Sodium = salt! WTF. SPRINKLE SOME EFFIN SALT ON YOUR FOOD. There are some of the stupidest people on this website. LMAO. Man...

For starters, Salt = Sodium + Chloride In fact, salt is MOSTLY chloride. Sodium is a nutrient that is found in many foods, salt being only one among them. My question was whether salt was a good source of sodium, or whether it's better to get it from other foods such as vegetables.

If you're actually low on sodium, you're not going to beef it up much with vegetables. I would look more to minimally processed foods like canned goods, cottage cheese, vegetable juice, etc.

I'm trying to avoid processed foods like the plague. Wouldn't it be better to just take a sodium table like @RunnerGrl1982 suggested? Also, wouldn't it be more convenient to take when I'm working out? That way I don't have to drink gatoraid (yuck).

Do you really think there's something horribly wrong with canned tomatoes or canned beans? I understand wanting to limit or cut out ultra processed food items, but avoiding canned tomatoes like the plague seems a bit over the top. It's not like they're adding all kinds of things to them. The processing on most canned goods like that is very minimal, which is why they're referred to as minimally processed foods.
    melmoldy wrote: »
    I understand that an adult man has to consume at least 500 mg of Sodium a day and more if he exercises. Ever since I started dieting, I've realized that I am often not eating enough salt. What are the healthiest sources of salt? How do I make sure I eat enough of it? Is it a bad idea to simply add table salt to the food I'm eating?

THIS is hilarious!!! Dude, you really need to educate yourself on nutrition. Sodium = salt! WTF. SPRINKLE SOME EFFIN SALT ON YOUR FOOD. There are some of the stupidest people on this website. LMAO. Man...

For starters, Salt = Sodium + Chloride In fact, salt is MOSTLY chloride. Sodium is a nutrient that is found in many foods, salt being only one among them. My question was whether salt was a good source of sodium, or whether it's better to get it from other foods such as vegetables.

If you're actually low on sodium, you're not going to beef it up much with vegetables. I would look more to minimally processed foods like canned goods, cottage cheese, vegetable juice, etc.

I'm trying to avoid processed foods like the plague. Wouldn't it be better to just take a sodium table like @RunnerGrl1982 suggested? Also, wouldn't it be more convenient to take when I'm working out? That way
    Do you really think there's something horribly wrong with canned tomatoes or canned beans? I understand wanting to limit or cut out ultra processed food items, but avoiding canned tomatoes like the plague seems a bit over the top. It's not like they're adding all kinds of things to them. The processing on most canned goods like that is very minimal, which is why they're referred to as minimally processed foods.

I also try to avoid processed food mainly because it’s riddled with toxic things from the manufacturing processes. Not only do they put things in the food that are unheathy to persevere it they use hazardous materials to contain the food itself. Canned food, for instance, has been found to contain chemicals that have leached into the food from coatings they use on the inside of the can.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Confused! I don't think cwolfman said either of the things you quote him as saying (although the first quote is reasonable enough so I can imagine him saying it).

As for: "I also try to avoid processed food mainly because it’s riddled with toxic things from the manufacturing processes. Not only do they put things in the food that are unheathy to persevere it they use hazardous materials to contain the food itself. Canned food, for instance, has been found to contain chemicals that have leached into the food from coatings they use on the inside of the can."

I think avoiding canned beans and tomatoes is likely to result in less desirable choices both nutritionally and environmentally. And if you read the label there's nothing unhealthy in them, at least not the mainstream ones I buy.

• jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    diet cola
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Add me to those doubting you need to supplement salt. Are you losing a lot of water through high intensity exercise? Doing the keto diet which can cause water loss due to glycogen depletion? Have you noticed any health symptoms which would lad you to believe you need to increase your sodium levels? What's your blood pressure like?
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    diet cola

There's not that much sodium in diet sodas though.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Roberta H. Anding is a professor at the Baylor College of Medicine and a registered dietitian. She says that the less processed something is, the better it is for you.

But that doesn't necessarily make sense. You need more sodium, right? So if a processed item has more sodium, then it's actually better for you currently, right?

Possibly. I'm looking for the optimal solution. I want to consume the correct amount of sodium daily while avoiding processed food. Can't I have the best of both worlds? :)

Other than seafood (plants, crustaceans, and mollusks, mainly), I don't think there are any unprocessed foods with high levels of sodium. And I don't recommend going to the beach and eating whatever plants wash up. Unless you live alone in some remote part of the world, commercially harvested and processed sea weed is going to be a lot healthier than what you pick up on the shore (given the state of pollution of most ocean waters in populated areas).

Turkey
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, and your sodium intake looks absolutely fine. Most Western diets contain far too much. Some of the food entries don't include sodium when they clearly should (like the salmon one already pointed out). If you really want to top up, then just add a little seasalt.