Too Low Calories?

Options
Using TDEECALCULATOR.NET my BMR is 1600. but myfitnesspal is suggesting I eat 1200 calories a day I'm worried that is too low because I've mostly been doing that since the first of January.

21 female
205 pounds

Thanks for your input

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I think I remember the wise ones here saying that we shouldn't eat below BMR...?? Maybe someone can clarify.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Did you set yourself to lose 2 lbs per week? If you have less than 75 lbs to lose to get into the healthy weight range, that is likely too aggressive.

Did you set yourself to sedentary, and is that accurate?

Also keep in mind the mfp goal is before exercise, you are supposed to log exercise and eat back at least some of those cals as well.
  • mirandajewel5
    mirandajewel5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @lalalacroix Sorry I forgot to mention Im 5'7.

@kimny72 I did set it to 2lb a week that might be too aggressive but I want to lose about 20-25 pounds.
    I did set it to sedentary because I do have a desk job but I also told it that I plan to work out 5 days a week for at least 30 mins
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

@kimny72 I did set it to 2lb a week that might be too aggressive but I want to lose about 20-25 pounds.
    I did set it to sedentary because I do have a desk job but I also told it that I plan to work out 5 days a week for at least 30 mins

The exercise gets added to your calories when you do it. It doesn't show up in your daily allowance. So when you exercise, you eat more.
  • mirandajewel5
    Options
    @nutmegoreo I have my apple watch connected but it only tracks my steps not any other activity like my workouts is there a way to sync those too? thanks
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @nutmegoreo I have my apple watch connected but it only tracks my steps not any other activity like my workouts is there a way to sync those too? thanks

I have a FitBit, and will add intentional exercise in through FitBit so that it will add calories when I exercise. I'm not certain if apple is the same. You can also add your exercise through the site/app here, just make sure you have the correct time when you enter it, because it overrides the information from your connected device.
  • mirandajewel5
    Options
    thanks for all your help
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

With only 20-25 lbs to lose, 2 lbs is far too aggressive. You are setting yourself up for burnout and possibly unnecessary muscle loss going so fast. Why not lose weight at a reasonable pace and have a better chance of actually keeping it off?

Change to 1 lb per week. Log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories. Good luck :smile:
  • kjohare
    kjohare Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can change your settings so that any workouts from your Apple Watch automatically update on myfitnesspal. Go to the health app on your iPhone, click Sources, myfitnesspal, then scroll down and switch on Workouts (and anything else you want to auto update).
  • PandaDearly
    PandaDearly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In the same vain, I have a lot of weight to lose and MFP gives me 1880 calories for the day. This seemed like too many so I reduced it to 1500. Is this going to mess me up?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    In the same vain, I have a lot of weight to lose and MFP gives me 1880 calories for the day. This seemed like too many so I reduced it to 1500. Is this going to mess me up?

How did you conclude that was too many? For many people 1,880 is a good goal for a deficit.

I agree. I'm 5'3", 113 pounds, and active; 1880 is still a deficit for me. If you have "a lot" of weight to lose, you can eat to a higher calorie goal and still lose weight. You don't have to shoot for the bare minimum.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Per your stats, MFP calculates your BMR to be 1,727. When you add the sedentary multiplier of 1.25, that makes your daily maintenance calories (before exercise) to 2159. If you set your weight loss goal to 1 pound per week, you will be able to eat 1659 calories per day. That sounds more reasonable and will allow you to lose it healthier and more sustainable.