Best gym machines to use to build strength

Options
Hi guys. I'd like to know what are the best gym machines to use over the next 6 to 8 weeks to build some strength that will help me transition to the Stronglifts 5x5 program in April.

My local gym has a couple of squat racks and olympic bars with a good range of weights. The issue I have is that the gym is very busy so I struggle to get on these. I've tried at 5am, during the day, and as late as midnight, and there are aways people waiting to use them. There was over 200 people at the gym at midnight on Saturday and 55 people there at 5am yesterday when I went.

I would like to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I am going to buy a squat rack, bench, olympic bar and weights in April.

In the mean time I would like a gym workout that I can do 3 times per week that I can use to to build strength? I was thinking:

- rowing machine
- lat pull down
- chest press
- seated leg press
- kettlebell squats

I have a couple dumbells at home so I can do some shoulder and arm excersises in addition.

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hi! Any machine is useful. Which machine to use depends on the bodypart you wish to train. Map your way through the gym for each training day. If it's a good gym, the machines should have the 'how-to-use' signs attached to them, along with a display of the muscles worked. Otherwise, the staff should be able to explain them to you.
    I spent several hours, lining up/mapping machines or weights, when I first started going to this new-to-me gym. I work a lot of supersets, and this takes some planning ahead for each training day, as the rest times between sets have to be short.

I can recommend a book as guidance: Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier. I like it for the cool illustrations, along with the guidance on how to correctly perform the exercises. They include exercises for machines, as well as free weights. You can score early editions in very good condition on ebay for as little as $6 incl. shipping. There are books available from the same author for workouts, but the basic book will allow you to line up exercises by muscle group.
    Happy lifting!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If there are ample dumbbells at the gym, then just do the dumbbell versions where you can. Overhead presses, bench press, bent over rows work just fine with dumbbells (I wouldn't substitute machines in for any of these as the dumbbell versions are pretty much just as good as barbells). There are some deadlift variations that work less awkwardly with dumbbells/ get more out of lower weight versus traditional. Everything other than the squat doesn't need the rack, so don't forget to check if a bar is available elsewhere (the incline/decline benches may oftentimes have a bar free when the racks are full). It'll be harder to non-awkwardly handle similar weight for the squats - but kettlebell would be as good an option I can think of. In a pinch, I've crouched under the bars at the arm isolation stands to do squats when racks were full (but it would be way more awkward for someone that isn't short).
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    So many assisted exercises using a Smith Machine
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Honestly anything that allows you to do the heaviest weight (shoot for maybe 2-3 sets of 4-6 reps) with good form is going to help you build strength. Some machines work better than others for different people, for example my body seems to hate the hack squat machine so I do barbell squats instead. Others it's the opposite. Anything from machines to dumbbells to resistance bands will help you out so long as you're struggling to get that last one or two reps in.

Long story short: If you can go heavy on the workout with good form (the most important part) then you're going to build strength. Don't feel like you have to hit specific machines because everyone else does.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I have ordered the book recomended above, and will be hitting the gym on the way home tonight. Your comments have given me the confidence I needed to get going.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    "The issue I have is that the gym is very busy so I struggle to get on these."

Find a different gym. IMO, although machines have their place there really is no substitute for free weights for building strength.

Haha....finding a near empty gym in the first 2 months of the year is as rare as the proverbial snowflake in hell! Wait a few more weeks, it'll clear out a bit!

I live in a college town, and sometimes, small groups of students show up, and they will hog certain stations forever. I like having a list of alternate exercises on hand...just anything really...to keep things going. Any lift/machine is better than getting cold...or breaking off a workout... I broke up a sabotaged compound lift into 2-3 other lifts before, just to hit a muscle group piece by piece, rather than wait. Flexibility is key!

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would try to work in with the crowd especially if it was a light intensity strating program as SL. It doesn't take long to run the first couple months and the plate change is relatively small.

If I couldn't do that, I would find another temporary gym. If you are in the states, powerlifting/strongman gyms are fairly common and only $20 a month.

All else fails, I would do the following lifts. Keep in mind, not all of them as you only need a small amount of stimulas since you are novel to lifting. Also some are listed because of your situation, not because they are optional.

Deadlifts
    RDL

Flat bench
    DB incline bench

Front squats
    Tempo squats
    Paused squats

Any variation of rows
    Pull ups

Cardio- rowing machine

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ditto on checking out other gyms in the area at the time slot(s) you are interested in - busy-ness, which pieces of equipment are more ample, and which are more used by the members can vary - stop in for a quick tour as a potential member during those times.
  • msurkus
    msurkus Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try searching letgo for used fitness equipment. You can often find it cheap or even free.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    If there are ample dumbbells at the gym, then just do the dumbbell versions where you can. Overhead presses, bench press, bent over rows work just fine with dumbbells (I wouldn't substitute machines in for any of these as the dumbbell versions are pretty much just as good as barbells). There are some deadlift variations that work less awkwardly with dumbbells/ get more out of lower weight versus traditional. Everything other than the squat doesn't need the rack, so don't forget to check if a bar is available elsewhere (the incline/decline benches may oftentimes have a bar free when the racks are full). It'll be harder to non-awkwardly handle similar weight for the squats - but kettlebell would be as good an option I can think of. In a pinch, I've crouched under the bars at the arm isolation stands to do squats when racks were full (but it would be way more awkward for someone that isn't short).

Goblet squats are a good dumbbell option for squats. Or dumbbells in both hands at the sides. Since the OP is a new lifter, it may also be possible to find a curl bar which is heavy enough for his needs for front squats or zerchers.

For deadlift substitutes I would consider kettlebell swings.

Edit: just noticed the date on this thread - how ya doing, OP? What did you end up using?