Walking

Options
I have tried several different kinds of exercise but I find walking to be the most enjoyable and the one I can stick with. I have about 90 pounds I need to lose and I was wondering if walking is sufficient enough for weight loss when combined with a healthy diet.

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, all you need is a calorie deficit. How you achieve that (diet, exercise, or both) is up to you. If a 1-hour walk gives you 250 calories, MFP gave you a calorie goal of 1700, and you walk an hour and eat 1950, you will lose weight. If you eat enough to not only wipe out your deficit, but go over maintenance, you will gain.

Now that we've established that... I'm a walker, too and I've dropped 108lbs. Full disclosure: walking is my main cardio, but I've been strength training for nearly 2 years also. Walking burns more calories, but strength training preserves muscle. Both are important for different reasons.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    If you like walking, then walking it should be.

I’ve developed a joy of walking and it wad a great tool in my fitness toolbox that contributed to me recently losing 33 lbs. and achieving my goal weight. I generally walk for 60 minutes and that’s what I did this late afternoon.

Only problem wit it, for me, is it’s time consuming.

To answer your question, yes.
  • mybattle2006
    mybattle2006 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Walking is a great way to help one loose weight. Nutrition/diet being the #1 way to lose. You can do this!
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Walking is fantastic. It’ll start strengthening a lot of muscles that may be very weak in a sedentary individual - and as you are able to get faster on your walks you can see better cardiovascular benefits. I consider walking as not only a great activity on its own, but also a gateway exercise. I started with just walking, gradually built my speed and distance, and later incorporated (and will continue to do so) a vast array of activities as I felt stronger and wanted more challenge.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Yes walking is a great exercise. It accomplishes the two things you want from exercise: additional calorie burn to assist with weight loss, and overall health benefits associated with moderate exercise.

You do not need to do any more than that. Perhaps as you go further in your journey, you will find other exceeded becomes easier and more enjoyable to do. But just doing walking is completely fine.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @Tacklewasher I’m not quite as deep into the addiction yet. 🤣 My longest run yet is just a 10k but I’d like to work my way to a half marathon one day!

To OP @MikePTY is totally right. Even if you never pick up anything beyond walking, it’s a great exercise on its own. The only time I’ve ever heard someone say walking was bad for them, that individual had specific issues with their bone structure that would be exacerbated by walking. The vast majority of humans will find walking very beneficial.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    Walking is fantastic. It’ll start strengthening a lot of muscles that may be very weak in a sedentary individual - and as you are able to get faster on your walks you can see better cardiovascular benefits. I consider walking as not only a great activity on its own, but also a gateway exercise. I started with just walking, gradually built my speed and distance, and later incorporated (and will continue to do so) a vast array of activities as I felt stronger and wanted more challenge.

Yeah, be careful as walking might lead to short runs, and then "oh I'll do a 5K" and before you know it you've signed up for a frikken marathon.......

Ask me how I know. Go on, ask me.

It led me to a 5K last summer, yes. (Signed up again for it this year!) I sort of realized that if I was walking 10K daily, I might be able to train for running half that distance.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Losing weight comes down to CICO (calories in vs calories out). You can do that without any exercise, but exercise of any variety certainly has a number of benefits!

I have added in daily walking to my routine. My walk includes some serious hills, which also get my heart rate up, and it's not a small hill (lasts for about 5 blocks, the last 1.5 of which is pretty darn steep). I consider this a bit of a cardio workout - certainly not the same as running the same path, but I've gone and done harder things (like climbing an 18 story stair case) and my "little walks" each day made those things pretty easy. I don't do any of it slowly though - I "power walk" just shy of jogging (I'd actually jog it but I'm in my work clothes and it would look ridiculous to be running in them).

Now, a relaxed stroll probably wouldn't be a "workout" but its still movement, and that's better than sitting!

As your fitness increases you can add in more intensity or some breaks in the walk while you do something else (such as some bodyweight exercises), but there's no need to do that - just ideas to add some variety and get more out of your walks.

If walking is what you enjoy, stick with it. When it comes to losing the weight though, you'll have to keep an eye on those calories. I put on my weight while eating very "healthy."
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Yeah, be careful as walking might lead to short runs, and then "oh I'll do a 5K" and before you know it you've signed up for a frikken marathon.......

It led me to a 5K last summer, yes. (Signed up again for it this year!) I sort of realized that if I was walking 10K daily, I might be able to train for running half that distance.

Ummm.

@estherdragonbat

I saw your time for your 5K. No reason you can't do a 10K or even a half this year (if you want to).
  • estherdragonbat
    Options

Ummm.

@estherdragonbat

I saw your time for your 5K. No reason you can't do a 10K or even a half this year (if you want to).

Well, I registered for the 5K. We'll see if that's all I do this year, or if there's another event with a non-prohibitive entry fee that's goes longer. Not ruling anything out, but I haven't gone running since the last one.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent for weight loss. I've lost over 60 lbs in the past year, mostly by walking. Make sure you have good shoes though. Best of luck!