Protein Powders and Reducing Plastic Consumption

Options
lin_be
lin_be Posts: 393 Member
I am trying to reduce my plastic consumption and have come across an issue with my protein powder packaging. Almost all of these products come in large plastic tubs and although I am usually able to reuse a lot of them, these tubs are bulky and it’s not sustainable.

I’ve explored making my own protein powder but the high calorie counts and low protein isn’t great. I’ve tried searching for powder brands that have non-plastic packaging and am having a tough time. I’ve searched local stores for bulk bins but haven’t been successful either.

I try to eat my protein but I enjoy the powders for a quick, low calorie solution.

Has anyone in the community found a brand that has non-plastic packaging (US) or a homemade (somewhat reasonable calorie, without whey if possible) high protein powder? Any bulk bins that you’ve heard of?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I buy the biggest tub I can. And I make use of the empty ones. Best solution I've found so far, but am interested in the question.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I just recycle the empty tubs...
  • lin_be
    Options

Chicago is one of the worst cities in the US for recycling. I’d rather not purchase them because I cannot gaurentee that when I put them in the blue bin that they will get recycled. Otherwise, I would totally just recycle them!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »

Chicago is one of the worst cities in the US for recycling. I’d rather not purchase them because I cannot gaurentee that when I put them in the blue bin that they will get recycled. Otherwise, I would totally just recycle them!

Boo. That sucks.
  • lin_be
    Options
    I buy the biggest tub I can. And I make use of the empty ones. Best solution I've found so far, but am interested in the question.

Curious, how do you make use of the empties? I use them for some other bulk items (rice, beans) and storage (decorations, tennis balls) but I have two empties right now and I just don’t have any need for them and not sure what I can do with them.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    a lot of health food stores you can bring in reusable containers and buy it out of a bulk bin.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    Can you give your two extra ones to someone else who may be able to use them for household storage?

If the suggestion @angmarie28 posted is an option for you then that would be ideal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not sure if The Protein Works operate in the US but I get my whey protein in a bag from them that's made from recyclable plastic.

I decant the contents into the tubs I've used before so they get multiple use. The tubs themselves are also made from recyclable plastic.
  • lin_be
    Options
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    a lot of health food stores you can bring in reusable containers and buy it out of a bulk bin.

I am on the lookout for them! I’ve visited a few so far with no luck.
  • lin_be
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Can you give your two extra ones to someone else who may be able to use them for household storage?

If the suggestion @angmarie28 posted is an option for you then that would be ideal.

I think I might be able to convert them into like a bird feeder for the spring!
  • lin_be
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Not sure if The Protein Works operate in the US but I get my whey protein in a bag from them that's made from recyclable plastic.

I decant the contents into the tubs I've used before so they get multiple use. The tubs themselves are also made from recyclable plastic.

I just don’t feel comfortable putting the recyclable plastics into the recycling bin right now. Most of the time, it ends up in the landfill in my city.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of MyProtein, the majority of their stuff comes in bags. Unfortunately, they're not recyclable but you can get away from the plastic tubs and can buy in larger quantities (up to 11lb bags).
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Planet Protein places its protein powder in bags made from bamboo and uses a reusable wooden scoop. The protein powder is vegan. I've never tried it. https://www.planetprotein.com/products/chocolate-magic-vegan-protein-powder

A lot of protein powders come in bags, you can order them online. They are still plastic or metallized, however it is less waste than a container. I have seen some hemp protein powders sold in paper bags, not sure what they are like.
  • lin_be
    Options
    fernt21 wrote: »
    Planet Protein places its protein powder in bags made from bamboo and uses a reusable wooden scoop. The protein powder is vegan. I've never tried it. https://www.planetprotein.com/products/chocolate-magic-vegan-protein-powder

A lot of protein powders come in bags, you can order them online. They are still plastic or metallized, however it is less waste than a container. I have seen some hemp protein powders sold in paper bags, not sure what they are like.

I have a feeling this won’t taste great but I am willing to give it a try! Thank you for sharing!!!