Anyone on an antidepressant and still able to lose?

Options
2»

Replies

• must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been on antidepressants for years. They don't magically make you gain weight, they only occasionally increase your appetite. If you can control your food intake, there's no reason you have to gain weight while on them.

Good for you. But controlling food intake did not work for me. Different people respond differently to medications and to make a blanket statement that "antidepressants don't make you gain weight" is not valid.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    cewarren7 wrote: »
    I’ve been on 20mg of Lexapro for a while now and gained 50 pounds 😔I had lost a little but it took very long then I gained it all back.

Ask your Dr. if you can try a different antidepressant (perhaps Prozac) and don't let him/her tell you Lexapro can't cause weight gain. One of my doctors finally admitted that he's seen it happen in many people who take it long term. 50 extra pounds is bad for your health-- so if you can find a solution to your mental health that will allow you to lose weight, it's win-win.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin XR for well over a year and haven't had any trouble
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I take a low dose of seroquel (not an anti-depressant, by the way), which is known to cause metabolic disruption. Still maintaining my same weight, while running a successful recomp.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Fluvoxamine, no issues cutting.