Packed Lunch

Options
What are good, healthy, easy lunch items that do not need to be kept cold and do not need to be heated up? Preferably something non-messy and easy to carry (i.e. a baggie instead of a thermos) ideas?

Replies

• dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Besides the classic sandwhich? I bring lots of snack things with me such as nuts, dried fruit, granola bars, fresh fruit and veg, etc.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I pack and ice chest, keeps my food cold and all in one place :) I always have cold water that way too
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I carry those starkist tuna kits. easy, non messy, non climate controlled
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I take to work 50g of wholewheat pasta with olives and vegetables (courgettes and mushrooms usually fried in spray oil) and add a tablespoon of green pesto. Delicious and filling. I add tuna too sometimes but wouldn't want to if I could't keep it in the fridge all morning.
  • NurseHthr
    NurseHthr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wraps! You can make about a million different kinds and all you need is an ice pack in your cooler/lunch bag.
    Egg and bacon
    chicken and feta
    Ham and swiss
    Chicken cheese and salsa
    Anything you can make in to a sandwich you can make into a wrap.
    Also salads don't really need to be refrigerated either
  • sweetchick06
    sweetchick06 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What are good, healthy, easy lunch items that do not need to be kept cold and do not need to be heated up? Preferably something non-messy and easy to carry (i.e. a baggie instead of a thermos) ideas?

That do not need to be kept cold, heated up, and you don't want to use a thermos? Why are you limiting yourself? Insulated lunch totes are a great way to keep you sandwich and salad cool until lunch time and you can even toss a yogurt or string cheese in or some hummus for your veggies. Veggies, fruits, nuts, pretzels, granola bars don't need to be kept cool.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Make some spicy black beans and roll them up in a tortilla with some salsa and avocado that has been drizzled with lime juice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Think like a hiker - nuts, veggie sticks, granola bars, trail mix, dry roasted seeds or beans, sandwiches, whole grain crackers. If you have an insulated bag, cheese should be good for most of the day.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    Ditto for these. I always take bananas, yogurt, mixed nuts, string cheese, etc. My hospital has a salad bar and I will bring my own chicken breast or similar. If I take it out of the refrigerator in the morning and put it in an insulated lunch kit I don't worry about it. It will stay cool until lunch time.
    That do not need to be kept cold, heated up, and you don't want to use a thermos? Why are you limiting yourself? Insulated lunch totes are a great way to keep you sandwich and salad cool until lunch time and you can even toss a yogurt or string cheese in or some hummus for your veggies. Veggies, fruits, nuts, pretzels, granola bars don't need to be kept cool.
  • Eshathediva
    Options
    solid white tuna, spinach cut up, quarter of avocado, mozzarella cheese reduced fat and 6 grape tomatoes cut up, a packet of vinaigrette and you are good to go. They all last no thermo needed!
  • teasie0616
    teasie0616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimcatania
    Options
    I like to bring those "Breakfast on the Go" packs with me when I need an easy mobile snack.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fruit - apples, oranges, pears, etc...even grapes, berries, and so forth work fine.

I assume you are a student or otherwise on the move and thus the least amount of packaging the better?

I also like nuts and seeds...almonds are good especially.

Sandwiches, cold pasta salads, cold chicken, etc are good options. Cheese is harder, but hard cheese will last longer, just don't put it in the sun, keep it in your bag.

Search for "school" on the thread and you should find some good results.