eliptical vs Exercise Bike.

Options
Looking at buying one. Not sure which. Can't afford a monthly gym membership and would rather work out at home. Was wondering if anyone could give me the pros and cons about them and their opinion.

Thanks everyone :smile:

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick one...elliptical. I feel it works all over, and bike primarily my legs. :)
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    Elliptical for sure. I have one and it gives you a great work out.
  • tsbrown09
    Options
    I love my elliptical! Plus you will burn more calories than you will on the bike.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree. An elliptical is a much better workout.
    If I had to pick one...elliptical. I feel it works all over, and bike primarily my legs. :)
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Did the elliptical for the first time last week. I would definitely go with that. More of a workout.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would probably choose the elliptical. If you get one with handles, you can also get a (minimal) arm workout. Plus, you can go both backwards and forwards, using different parts of your legs. With most non-spinning, stationary bikes, you can't stand up and you are mostly working quads.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    ELLIPTICAL!!
  • goalie35
    goalie35 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Eliptical can work more muscles then a bike.
  • MN_Grl_8
    MN_Grl_8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would actually choose an exercise bike. You can pop in spin DVDs and get an awesome workout, or keep your heart rate lower to burn fat like crazy. My fiance is a triathlete, and is by far at his smallest when he does heavy biking. Your quads may become more muscular, but biking burns tons of body fat overall.
  • MN_Grl_8
    MN_Grl_8 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also, biking actually uses the same muscles as running does, just without the high impact.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    like everyone else, i would choose the eliptical. i only ever use the bike in the gym when i am exhausted and could do with a sit down :-)
  • sazzyR
    sazzyR Posts: 5
    Options
    I would go with eliptical over the exercise bike. I find exercise bikes extremely uncomfortable after a few minutes. And I agree eliptical you can burn more calories in less time than on a bike. Good luck.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's another vote for the Eliptical. You'll burn much more cals than the bike and it's an all over workout.
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    I have an elliptical and love it. I also have a trainer that I connect my road bike too and I burn a ton of calories on that as well. If you have a bike that you ride outside then look into a trainer as it is cost effective and is a great workout too! Need a spedometer to measure speed and distance though!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    i would choose elliptical.
  • zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    Maybe you should also ask which one you prefer and will use? Try using both at the gym for a while? I think that elliptical is a better full body workout, but if i had one at home, I wouldn't use it. I actually look forward to getting on my stationary bike, though!
  • changeisgood55
    Options
    I would probably choose the elliptical. If you get one with handles, you can also get a (minimal) arm workout. Plus, you can go both backwards and forwards, using different parts of your legs. With most non-spinning, stationary bikes, you can't stand up and you are mostly working quads.

I have an elliptical and I agree with this. The moving handles will work your arms and your legs will get a great workout. Even helps the butt too.
  • peacestar84
    Options
    I would choose the elliptical but only if you can afford a good one. If you can't then go with the bike as even the cheaper models are good. I tested a whole bunch of both out and ended up with a bike cause the cheap ellipticals are unsteady and crap.
  • MsMadmagic
    Options
    I've just bought one of those machines that does both and its a killer on the legs I've been have to swim for a couple of days in between sessions! I chose this because if I feel like a lazy day I can use the bike and still get a workout and was also going to look into spin dvds as previously mentioned. I suppose you also need to take into account how much room you have indoors. :smile:
  • wgieni
    wgieni Posts: 7
    Options
    They are both good if used properly. The elliptical is easier on the knees but has the tendency to allow momentum to do the work for you. This tends to be the same with treadmills and bikes as well. You can get really good work outs on both if you tend towards interval training rather than straight out and maintaining a certain speed.

If you want to boost the workout on any machine add weights or at least the arm motion. Just holding a weight on the bike or doing arm curls and such can add the upper body motion that the elliptical gives you. You can also lower the seat and stand in place to give your legs that extra burn, don't completely remove the seat unless you are very comfortable not using it.

The bike does have the benefit as it does mimic a natural movement, and can be translated into riding a bike. The elliptical and gazelles do not really mimic a natural body movement like running.