Water and weight loss

Options
Does anyone else struggle drinking water? I’ve managed to cut back on junk food, cut out all full fat fizzy drinks (which I would normally drink by the gallon) I normally manage to drink 2 - 3 litres per day at the start of my journey then by 3 weeks in I struggle to keep it up. It just becomes a chore. I still drink glasses of no added sugar diluting juice day to day but as far as filling up my water bottle and making sure I finish it, it doesn’t happen.

Do you notice keeping up with water intake helps your weight loss journey?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Keep up my water keeps the pipes moving so to speak, but that has minimal affect on my weight loss. The diluted juice you're drinking is still contributing to your hydration though. I have a water bottle that holds roughly 4 cups of water and I just aim to get at least one of those in per day. Using water flavouring helps.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    There really isn't a specific amount of water you need to drink. As long as your pee is light colored, you're properly hydrated. Your diluted juice, diet soda, soups, fruits, veggies, etc all provide water too.

Some days I drink a lot of water, others I just drink coffee, tea, and diet soda. Replacing calorie drinks with water or other no-cal drinks can help hit your calorie goal, but don't make yourself crazy trying to hit some magic number of ounces of water, it's not worth it :drinker:

Yup! Just check your pee. Here's an example chart (keeping in mind that medication can affect the color of your urine, this is a general guideline):

healthy-pee-chart_03.png
  • lovelyclaire86
    lovelyclaire86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. That’s put my mind at rest. I just keep thinking ‘ahh! I need to drink more water’ ‘I won’t lose as much if I’m not drinking water’ but it really is a struggle and so far nothing’s been forced or enjoyable while calorie counting so don’t want to start now.

The frequent trips to the bathroom when I’m drinking loads of water is off putting too. No one wants to go to the toilet every 15 minutes 🙈 x
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've never drunk 2-3 litres of water in a day in my entire life. I'm lucky if I even drink 1 litre.

However 10 litres of tea a day is easy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. That’s put my mind at rest. I just keep thinking ‘ahh! I need to drink more water’ ‘I won’t lose as much if I’m not drinking water’ but it really is a struggle and so far nothing’s been forced or enjoyable while calorie counting so don’t want to start now.

The frequent trips to the bathroom when I’m drinking loads of water is off putting too. No one wants to go to the toilet every 15 minutes 🙈 x

You will settle in to the right amount for you. I do drink a lot of water but I always have. To me the hand to mouth action is satisfying and I would probably smoke or snack more if I didn't always have a beverage by my side. Over the course of a day, I probably drink 2 liters above my coffee/tea/cocoa/ etc. I do try to keep one liter plain (but fizzy via my sodastream) and one liter flavored which could be soda or Mio or something else.
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    2 litres of tea is right up my street! I’m not going to put any pressure on myself to be drinking so much. As long as I’m not drinking Coca Cola as much as I was, I’m happy x
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Also - if you take supplements/vitamins - be aware of how that changes the color of your pee. I drink plenty of water - more than 60 oz most days....but after I take my vitamin...you'd think I was dehydrated......But if I skip it a day....it's almost clear.... so I know it's the vitamins...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't have anything to do with losing weight. Not all health matters are about losing weight. Staying hydrated is healthy and good for you, but has nothing to do with losing weight.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I struggled switching from drinking a ridiculous amount of Diet Coke over to water. It's still a work in progress but I'm at about 100 ounces of water a day. I just keep a 24oz cup of it at my desk all day and can typically get in 3 or 4 fills. Then with that on top of my pre workout, etc I wind up with close to a gallon total for the day.

But definitely don't feel alone on the struggle to try and drink more.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I went to a weight loss clinic and they advised me to drink a glass of water before every meal. It helps to curb my appetite so I do not want to eat as much. Once again, I run into the same problem as well where I do not drink as much water as they recommend.
  • lovelyclaire86
    Options
    Yeah sometimes my other half will get home from work and remind me I’ve not dunk any all day! I really wish in my teens I’d binned the fizzy drinks for water and maybe now I’d manage to drink more. X