Poor recovery.

Options
Since getting back into fitness holding back any excuses, I have had quite pleasing results and seeing good progress not only in my physique but also my strength and endurance. When my normal training was not as strenuous (while progressively increasing resistance, weight and intensity) I reintroduced running. Nothing impressive, just an easy 5km or less.

However, the last week and a half my body has been recovering so poorly. It took nearly a week to recover from a chest workout that wasn’t even heavy or intense at all yet it was so painful. Overall I am feeling physically wrecked after every workout.

Also, I have been so hungry (which is weird because I never feel hungry) and I know I should listen to my body but I don’t want to start bulking either.

Could increasing my calorie goal aid poor recovery ?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?
    Did you increase your intake at all with the increased activity?
    Are you getting enough protein?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Are you currently eating at a deficit? Did you increase your activity without increasing your calories? Are you getting adequate rest (both sleep and rest days)?

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating now? My guess is you are probably not eating enough to fuel your body. You don't really have to worry about "bulking". Bulking is very hard to do unless you are intentionally trying to do it.
  • chrisprophet
    chrisprophet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would add another small meal. See how your recovery is after that. Also what is your post workout nutrition and sleep like? Maybe adding some simple carbs post workout may be another option.

Good luck!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Need more food and/or rest by the sounds of things but as posters above have already asked, it would be helpful to have a bit more information.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Since getting back into fitness holding back any excuses, I have had quite pleasing results and seeing good progress not only in my physique but also my strength and endurance. When my normal training was not as strenuous (while progressively increasing resistance, weight and intensity) I reintroduced running. Nothing impressive, just an easy 5km or less.

However, the last week and a half my body has been recovering so poorly. It took nearly a week to recover from a chest workout that wasn’t even heavy or intense at all yet it was so painful. Overall I am feeling physically wrecked after every workout.

Also, I have been so hungry (which is weird because I never feel hungry) and I know I should listen to my body but I don’t want to start bulking either.

Could increasing my calorie goal aid poor recovery ?

You can always try it for a week or so to see if that helps...not eating enough can definitely prolong recovery.

Also, it's always possible (especially during cold and flu season) that your immune system is working hard fending off something, and doing a pretty good job of it but draining your overall system. You might feel great...no illness symptoms...but your body is having difficulty recovering due to this energy drain.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Sound like you are not eating right ! If i was to guess your calorie intake will be 800 to 1200 per day . and you will exercise 5 to 6 days per week??? More info will be good.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would look at programming and more importantly load management of both lifting and running.

How are you managing your load for lifting and running? Are you monitoring fatigue and stress from both for more than a month? If so, when did it rise and how long has it been there?

How does your program progressively overload and at what rate?
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

I was eating 1200 before, however the last few weeks I have gradually increased to 1500 as I am finding balance between a deficit as well as being intuitive.

So yes, I have increased my calories as well as activity and I am definitely getting enough protein
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How much are you sleeping? I don't recover well if I'm not sleeping well.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    More calories, more carbs, more sleep would be where I would start.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

I was eating 1200 before, however the last few weeks I have gradually increased to 1500 as I am finding balance between a deficit as well as being intuitive.

So yes, I have increased my calories as well as activity and I am definitely getting enough protein

How much are you trying to lose? At what rate? And where did you get the 1200 and 1500?

If that’s you in your profile pic, you don’t have much to lose at all and should be aiming for a very small deficit - and if you’re going to be lifting and running - I have a feeling that 1500 is still quite low.

• jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

How much are you trying to lose? At what rate? And where did you get the 1200 and 1500?

If that’s you in your profile pic, you don’t have much to lose at all and should be aiming for a very small deficit - and if you’re going to be lifting and running - I have a feeling that 1500 is still quite low.

I’m not really trying to lose any weight, just lower my body fat % and gain muscle. I use the chronometer estimate for my calorie goal, and it is very a similar number to my IIFYM results as well.

I have been resting enough but I still feel so physically drained, like my body just wants to vegetate and not move a muscle
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating?

I’m not really trying to lose any weight, just lower my body fat % and gain muscle. I use the chronometer estimate for my calorie goal, and it is very a similar number to my IIFYM results as well.

I have been resting enough but I still feel so physically drained, like my body just wants to vegetate and not move a muscle

It feels that way because you’re inadequately fueling it.

Set your goal to maintenance and eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I introducing a new workout to my routine i always take almost a week to recover. Honestly I just train through it because the body just get used to it.