Exercising at home

Options
I was just wondering if anyone could help me come up with exercises that can be done at home.

My husband is in the military and we just moved to our new home in Kansas. The moving company has not delivered out stuff yet so we don't have a dvd player and I don't have my workout dvds. Also, it is way to hot here to be working outside unless I want to wake up at around 4am and well...that's not happening.

Do any of you know cardio that can be done at home?

Thanks!

Erica

Replies

• Staffyman
    Staffyman Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What about a jump rope? :smile:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Lots of fitness magazines (shape, women's health, prevention, etc.) have websites and they post many of the workouts featured in magazines. That might be a good place to start!

Best of luck!
  • sexyvirgo911
    Options
    I would do some squats, run in place, kickboxing moves. Do you have cable they sometimes put free workout videos on demand. Or on the computer Excerise TV has free workouts.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Jump rope, jumping jacks, jog outside? You can also do pushups, squats, leg lifts, planks, etc. Google home workouts, there are a ton of really good ones out there.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Jumping Jacks
    Burpees ( http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm )
    Running on the spot
    Knee up's .. Finding a step(stairs) going up and down them

For some strength/cardio options:

Walking lunges(in an empty hallway)
    Wall-Squats, or body-weight squats without the wall
  • mfpdcg
    mfpdcg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Tabata-style cardio at home for multiple reasons: speed, cheap (very little equipment needed: e.g., a jump rope), and metabolic raising effects for the next half-day or so.

Check out this video, and good luck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3sppnfiLs

I'm sure there will be other good suggestions from users.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands or basic calisthetics... push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks, squats. If you live close to the military installation, don't they have a fitness center you can use as a dependant?
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    put music on and dance!
  • ecronick
    ecronick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....those are great suggestions! I really wish I could workout outside but it's just so hot here. Today it's going to be 99 degrees.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, bat add running up and down the stairs several times too! Sure makes me sweat!!
  • ecronick
    Options
    Yes, I have access to the workout facilities on base however, I am a stay at home mom with a 6 month old. They don't have daycare at the gyms.

I already do squats, push ups, etc I am looking for more on the line of cardio. I need more of a workout.
  • martina123321
    Options
    Not sure if you have one or have heard of one. But I have the xbox and have got the kinect. I have the dance central game, it keeps me motivated as it dancing which I love and makes you work up one hell of a sweat...... its fab. You can get loads of games such as zumba, your shape, biggest loser and many more in which will all help you lose weight xx
  • ChristopherCrane
    ChristopherCrane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel with the heat. I live in Florida, and the heat is unbearable, with temps and humidity in the 90's as well. But as bad as it is, you wind up getting just about twice the benefit by getting outside and sweating it out. Wait till late in the afternoon - 6:30 or 7, and walk for an hour, and you can still beat the sunset. You'll get some great cardio benefit from it. You can even push the baby in the stroller. Just bring a water bottle and something to help keep baby cool.
  • ecronick
    Options
    Yes I've heard of it and was looking into getting it. Thanks!
  • ecronick
    Options
    I've been going for walks with my munchkin the last couple nights but our stroller is packed in the moving truck as well. We were supposed to get our stuff a week ago but the moving company apparently doesn't have any drivers to deliver our stuff from Wisconsin to Kansas. :(
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Do you have something that you can use for a step workout? Actual steps work.
    You know the kind of routine where you step on and off to music.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a kettlebell or two and do a little research on workouts you can do.

You can probably get away with one or two small ones and do MANY MANY exercises

Check out this site for some videos and exercises.
    http://www.mikemahler.com/
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend http://bodyrock.tv highly enough. The workouts are short but very intense. A lot of the older videos don't use any equipment whatsoever and even those that use equipment can be done without it too. She goes through beginner modifications at the end of each video. Also, Zuzana is SUPER motivating. I mean, LOOK at her!

Marine.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

(Oh yeah, you have to be able to handle some major cleavage on the site. :laugh: )