Going over your Sugar!

Options
I like to know if anyone else goes over their sugar intake? I've been alot and i have fruit smoothies will frozen strawberries and bannanas with some 1/2 cup of Oj and 1/2 cup of apple juice. Is that alot of bad sugar? I see it as good sugar from the fruit, so can anyone say if its bad having lot of fruit sugar? I have a smoothie a day and i use bout 1/2 cup of strawberries and bannanas.

Replies

• echeindl
    echeindl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem!! I would like to know the answer as well
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it's coming from fruit (ideal) and from real fruit juices (less ideal) then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but if your juices are ones that are like 3% fruit then you're not going to want those sugars.
    I'd use water in place of the juices myself, or yogurt.. plain isn't bad once you're adding the fruits to it ;)
  • junebug1010
    junebug1010 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is the one thing I worry about too. I am always over on my sugar. I loved to eat bananas, but once I saw what it did to my sugar intake, I had to slow it down. Sugar from fruit, is still sugar. I even went so far as to put almond milk in my coffee instead of skim milk. I did not like the taste (I have never added sugar to my coffee, ever). I eventually went back to 1/4 cup of skim milk in my coffee each day and found another way to cut out the sugar, because to me, it was worth it. So, look at your food log, try to figure out where the majority of your sugar is coming from and try to find alternates. Or only eat them a few times a week instead.
  • heaven6
    heaven6 Posts: 5
    Options
    There is no such thing as "good" sugar in my book. I am diabetic. Fruits and vegetables are healthy, but some are sugar loaded and can be just as bad. Everything in moderation!
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    I have done horrible on sugar the last few days, stayed in my calories but had chocolate every day lol. But I gave up sugar for lent this year and didn't cheat once, and didn't lose a single pound. So I am not completely sold on the idea that sugar is any worse calorie wise than anything else. Besides fruit has so many other things in it that you really do need.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    sugar from fresh fruit is good. look at it like this; food that's in it's rawest form is always the best. But as for meat, we have to cook it. But that's still in it's rawest edible form. Fruit is the easiest food to find that is already in it's rawest state. It's really the glycemic index that matters. All carbs are not the same. When we think of sugar as bad, what's really bad about it is the way it reacts in our blood. Fruit has a low glycemic index. which means that the sugar has a far less impact in our system then does regular processed sugar. Really the only carbs we should eat are fruit and vegetables. And plenty of them. Bread, Pasta, and rice are just as bad as if we had a big glass of koolaid with a cup of sugar in it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good. If that's the culprit, and not simple refined sugars, and you're in your calorie range for the day, and you feel satiated, then you are good to go.
  • britnitennis
    Options
    yeah its coming from the fruit, its not a bad thing but to cut weight i met a trainer that told me to only eat 25grams of fruit a day and no more than 5grams per meal. So you cant cheat and use 15 for one meal and ten for the other. Its hard but it def works! Yes this means cutting fruit!
  • britnitennis
    Options
    yeah its coming from the fruit, its not a bad thing but to cut weight i met a trainer that told me to only eat 25grams of fruit a day and no more than 5grams per meal. So you cant cheat and use 15 for one meal and ten for the other. Its hard but it def works! Yes this means cutting fruit!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Completely unnecessary for results...fire that trainer.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to get diabeetus. Be afraid.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    YOU MUST REMOVE THE JUICE FROM YOUR DIET! You never want to consume calories through liquid form. The first ingredient on juice is SUGAR. If the first five ingredients are not natural, or whole...stay away. Make your smoothie with PLAIN GREEK YOGURT, bananna, berries, 1 scoop protien powder, and AGUAVE if it is not sweet enough.

TRUST ME ON THIS....Sugar will destroy your goals!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the fruit. Sugar is bad for you even if it is from fruit. Not telling you to stop eating fruit but maybe cut back
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the fruit. Sugar is bad for you even if it is from fruit.

and why is it bad for you? sugar in moderation is fine and will not prevent you from hitting any of your goals. Plus fruit contains a lot of phytonutrients that are hard to get in other foods.

btw i eat ben and jerry's every night and have no problem shedding fat. remember moderation is key
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    sugar in itself wont make you gain weight. but as long as you dont have a condition that requires you to moniter sugar you should be fine